Railroad Forums 

• Mount Arlington Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

Re:

#639711  by Port Jervis

NJTRailfan wrote:Dangerous Boy, Hope it happens. But electrification must come sooner so that they can make room for all those new trainsets comming in. Plus Mt Arlington and Lake Hopatcong along with the surrounding areas can use the weekend/direct service to NYP.
If they ever electrified to Port Morris, the usage of the Mt. Arlington parking lot would skyrocket.
 #639860  by nick11a

Port Jervis wrote:
NJTRailfan wrote:Dangerous Boy, Hope it happens. But electrification must come sooner so that they can make room for all those new trainsets comming in. Plus Mt Arlington and Lake Hopatcong along with the surrounding areas can use the weekend/direct service to NYP.
If they ever electrified to Port Morris, the usage of the Mt. Arlington parking lot would skyrocket.
I'd be willing to bet this will happen sooner than we think.

#639905  by PullmanCo

Port Jervis wrote:
Yup, and we'd have to watch out for wingèd pigs. (Thought the ALP-45DP is supposed to make extending the wires moot, as well?)
 #639986  by nick11a

firthorfifth06 wrote:Cite your sourc, nick :-p
My gut. Like I said, I just have a feeling. Dover Yard is full and has no real room to expand. Plenty of room in Port Morris.

And PullmanCo, I hear ya! To me though, out of all the things that MIGHT happen on NJT, this one seems the most likely in my book. I have no source, all I have is my gut.
 #640609  by Port Jervis

nick11a wrote:
Port Jervis wrote:
I'd be willing to bet this will happen sooner than we think.
I'm pessimistic about any extension of wire since the new dual modes are supposed to make them unecessary. Only after they fail to live up to expectations will it be considered.
 #640694  by northjerseybuff

some comments..1. I heard Sarles say that no wire extensions are necessary with dual modes coming! he said this on newschannel 12 last year.
2. So whats the deal with dual modes? have they gone out to contract yet?
3. My own gut is, mount arlington will get weekend service when the first phase of the cutoff to Andover opens. I say this because Andover will be using the dual modes and it would fit in nicely..so how long? whenever andover opens..and thats in the plans now....
 #640696  by Jtgshu

Gotta look at it this way - straight electric operations are NOT going away, and are going to expand in the sense that they are getting more ALP46s, even if the entire diesel fleet were to be replaced by dual modes - there is still going to be a need for yard space for ELECTRIC trains - MUs, or ALP powered - doesn't matter, but ALP powered trains are less flexible when it comes to yard and track space.

An extension of the wire to Port Morris would allow for a MUCH needed increase in yard space for Electric Trains. Dover Yard is bursting at the seems, as are the other yards that host electric trains, Morrisville comes to mind - 18 plus yard tracks and it still hard to move in there.
 #640719  by Taborite

northjerseybuff wrote: 2. So whats the deal with dual modes? have they gone out to contract yet?
They were contracted out to Bombardier last year. I seem to recall the estimated delivery date for the prototype being in the 2010-2011 timeframe

Re:

#640829  by TDowling

PullmanCo wrote:
Port Jervis wrote:
Yup, and we'd have to watch out for wingèd pigs. (Thought the ALP-45DP is supposed to make extending the wires moot, as well?)
Nice use of diacritical marks. Someone is a Shakespeare fan!
 #640841  by cruiser939

northjerseybuff wrote:3. My own gut is, mount arlington will get weekend service when the first phase of the cutoff to Andover opens. I say this because Andover will be using the dual modes and it would fit in nicely..so how long? whenever andover opens..and thats in the plans now....
Who says that Andover service will be using the dual modes and why do you assume that Andover will get weekend service as soon as it opens?
Jtgshu wrote:Gotta look at it this way - straight electric operations are NOT going away, and are going to expand in the sense that they are getting more ALP46s, even if the entire diesel fleet were to be replaced by dual modes - there is still going to be a need for yard space for ELECTRIC trains - MUs, or ALP powered - doesn't matter, but ALP powered trains are less flexible when it comes to yard and track space.
This is a logical reasoning however it is not quite as bad as you would think. Many of the additional trains that will come with the initial opening of the new tunnels will have an ALP-46 on either end of a 10 car consist. As such there won't be a need for that many more train sets to be stored. That being said, yard capacity will definitely become an issue eventually and need to be addressed.
 #640848  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:3. My own gut is, mount arlington will get weekend service when the first phase of the cutoff to Andover opens. I say this because Andover will be using the dual modes and it would fit in nicely..so how long? whenever andover opens..and thats in the plans now....
Who says that Andover service will be using the dual modes and why do you assume that Andover will get weekend service as soon as it opens?
Jtgshu wrote:Gotta look at it this way - straight electric operations are NOT going away, and are going to expand in the sense that they are getting more ALP46s, even if the entire diesel fleet were to be replaced by dual modes - there is still going to be a need for yard space for ELECTRIC trains - MUs, or ALP powered - doesn't matter, but ALP powered trains are less flexible when it comes to yard and track space.
This is a logical reasoning however it is not quite as bad as you would think. Many of the additional trains that will come with the initial opening of the new tunnels will have an ALP-46 on either end of a 10 car consist. As such there won't be a need for that many more train sets to be stored. That being said, yard capacity will definitely become an issue eventually and need to be addressed.
good point about the yard, but it is more flexible with the MUs as you can cut and make up different trains from one train set, like at County (and Morrisville, Hoboken, etc) each day. Thats what I meant by flexibility. Got a track that can fit 15 cars. Well you can put 15 MUs on there and get a bunch of trains of various sizes, but you can only get 1 10 car 2 motor set on that track, with a few cars worth of wasted space. Thats what I meant, sorry, I should have been more clear :)

10 car 2 motor sets huh - thats gonna be fun! ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!
 #640963  by Port Jervis

An extension of the wire to Port Morris would allow for a MUCH needed increase in yard space for Electric Trains. Dover Yard is bursting at the seems, as are the other yards that host electric trains, Morrisville comes to mind - 18 plus yard tracks and it still hard to move in there.
I agree, Port Morris itself has space for even more tracks for storage. It's also where the crew facilities are. You'd probably have to build a new station at Lake Hopatcong, or a crew-only boarding platform in Port Morris itself.
 #641056  by cruiser939

Ah, ok. I see you're point Jt and it's very well taken.