Railroad Forums 

• Mott Haven yard/junction

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#208530  by akohorn

Anyone know where I can find information on the layout and operation of both Mott Haven yard and the adjacent junction? I am particularly interested in the late 1950's, but would appreciate any available info...

Some detailed questions, as well, for those in the know:
My understanding, so far, is that trains coming out of GCT for service that needed to be turned went up track 5 of the Hudson div and then backed into the yard. Not clear to me if other moves into the yard, as well as those returning to GCT from the yard used the two yard leads that connect into tracks 5 and 6 or the connection to track 4 of the Harlem div. I've seen a few references that imply usage of the two yard leads, but this seems like it would pose a big constraint on yard operation.

#233444  by Dieter

I don't know for sure, but I don't see a reason for a passenger train to have been taken up the Hudson Division trackage and then backed into the yard.

Trains were taken to Highbridge for washing.

The area adjacent to the Harlem Division trackage, above MO Tower is the former site of what used to be at one time the largest passenger car yard in the United States. When those apartment buildings were constructed on "stilts" the idea was to leave room in the event things changed, and the space was required in the future, for parking trains.

Dieter/