Railroad Forums 

• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#461653  by uhaul

I noticed that 3636's Engineer side windscreen (aka right side) has a messed up wiper. I know the date says 4/15/2010, but I think that translates into 10/15/2007 and I am guessing that 3636 will be running into 2010.
www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=354890
Go Red Sox

#461710  by GOLDEN-ARM

uhaul wrote:I noticed that 3636's Engineer side windscreen (aka right side) has a messed up wiper. I know the date says 4/15/2010, but I think that translates into 10/15/2007 and I am guessing that 3636 will be running into 2010.
www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=354890
Go Red Sox
You noticed wrong, Terry. The wipers are supposed to fold up, out of the way. The other three aren't in the "stored" position. The date on the photo is posted on the bottom, so your "translating" really means you just read the bottom, right? Thanks for the "info".

#461974  by uhaul

Seems that most diesels do not have wipers that fold out of the way.
Since my translating is bad I should stick to my day job.

#463939  by amoreho1

3636 was on todays (11-4) BH2

#463974  by Jtgshu

On F40s (at least, i dunno about the F45, but it looks similar), the wipers are electric, and the two on each window are controlled by one switch and motor, next to the light above the engineers head. Its a bit of a game to get the damn wiper in front of the engineer to stop in that upper most position. There aren't the manual handles like those that are on the Geeps, which are easy to shove the wiper out of the line of sight.

Look at this pic, you will see the wiper on the NJT F40 in just about the same position as on the F45

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=615725

#469023  by scottychaos

3014 was in the Rochester & Southern yard in Rochester, NY on Friday 11/16..it is now gone. (Sunday afternoon)

What is strange is that this unit has already been to AMP in Dansville!
just this past May:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/

It was repainted from its former SP scheme into its yellowjacket colors then..last of the four tunnelmotors to be repainted.

The only reason I can think of for the unit being back on the R&S is if its going back to Dansville for some reason..maybe its needs more work?
All its NYSW markings were intact, no new reporting marks or anything like that, so it doesnt look like its been sold..

Scot

#469079  by ricebrianrice

Now that NYS&W has closed the Utica shops ( well almost), It seems to me that 3014 needs some kind of repair work, and they are having AMP do the work.

Where else would they have the work done?

#469086  by scottychaos

amoreho1 wrote:i see 2 susie-q units in this pic one looks to be a tunnel motor
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... -18-07.jpg
wow, yeah that must be 3014 in Dansville!
:P

and the other NYSW unit in the photo, in the foreground, is the dead SD45 3614, which will not be returning to the NYSW roster.

thanks for the aerial pic Dan! :)

Scot

#469088  by amoreho1

scottychaos wrote:
amoreho1 wrote:i see 2 susie-q units in this pic one looks to be a tunnel motor
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... -18-07.jpg
wow, yeah that must be 3014 in Dansville!
:P

and the other NYSW unit in the photo, in the foreground, is the dead SD45 3614, which will not be returning to the NYSW roster.

thanks for the aerial pic Dan! :)

Scot
i found the pic on the link on this thread

#470096  by kingfish

Perhaps warranty related repair work to correct an engine failure...

#477405  by SGLX1202

i wonder if kingfish could say yes or no if we will ever see 3614 return.

#477440  by ANDY117

3040 is alive and well in Binghamton, while a number of other units are all stored by the shops. Right off hand: 2012, 2064, 2062 (?) and 116.

#477471  by Steve F45

SGLX1202 wrote:i wonder if kingfish could say yes or no if we will ever see 3614 return.
Not happening. I had contacted AMP awhile back about 3614 and they said it was so far from gone it was not cost effective for NYSW to rebuild it. But it just seemed weird that they thought that when both ex. NW high nose SD40's were just shells.