Railroad Forums 

• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#454348  by lvrr325

2005Vdub wrote:well are they selling all the 4 axle power? I do like the gp18's, but can understand why they'de have to move them since it was a pain to get the 1802? back up and running with a new generator.
I'd understood the GP18s to have been upgraded with 645 power assemblies some years ago (probably done by Rome Locomotive when they were in business). Have heard some good rumors about where they may go, not repeating them here. I don't remember if they had ever been modified electrically.

The GP20s were well-worn when the TP&W got them from Santa Fe and from what I remember reading in Trains in an article on the TP&W, the NYS&W wasn't doing much more than painting them and some basic maintenance when they brought them to Utica to "overhaul" - they weren't much better when they came back, the crews said. Santa Fe I believe deturboed them and rebuilt them in the 1980s, so they shouldn't have been much different internally than the GP18s, but I'd have to research that to be sure of being correct.

This is a railroad which runs it's units into the ground, it seems like they believe in the Milwaukee Road priniciple of motive power maintenance, at least lately - run it until it breaks then lease something else. But unless they've found a source to lease or buy GP38s that is very cheap, I don't see them ending up with much better power for very long in that kind of swap. I mean, they already have a broken GP38 awaiting repairs.

Also, wasn't one of those 1800s rebuilt from a wreck that bent the frame by one of the technical schools in Utica or Rome somewhere (if memory serves, the same one that offered CSX conductor training a few years ago)? Seems like I remember reading that it was done at very little cost to the railroad, as an educational tool for the students.

#454390  by washingtonsecondary

I believe that was the 1802 that had a bent frame. It was 5 years ago, the accident happened around this time of year if I remember correctly.

#454411  by Steve F45

i thought the gp20's were still turbo'd?

as for the gp38's. Doesn't NRE or someone completely rebuild old gp40's and so forth into new gp40/38's etc?

Not to start a whole nother topic, but what would be the gain if any by using gp38's over gp40s?

#454420  by RichM

No turbocharger on a nominal 38 vs 40... the same 645 block. Simpler maintenance then, so long as they have sufficient road power in the SD 40 series, so the 38's can function perfectly well as true road switchers... with the advantages that the heavy engine components are the same throughout the 645 blocks used on both.

I'm not sure if this enters the picture either, but there's a huge installed base of 645 engines everywhere, and that's fostered a nice "knock-off" parts business as well. If nothing else, getting spares as well as qualified mechanical folks is simpler too.

#454421  by scottychaos

2005Vdub wrote:scotty you can pretty much remove 3614 from the list. Its never coming back. I had written to amp and asked about it, was surprised i got a response back. The guy stated that the unit was so far gone from repair it would've cost the nysw as much as it took to do 2 or 3 of the other units. Which i found strange cause the 2 newest 3018/22 were ex high hood NW units with no motors, pretty much just a shell and frame.
Dub,
you are probably right (about removing 3614 from the roster)
but I havent heard anyting official yet, so it stays for now! ;)

unless its confirmed scrapped, or we hear its been sold to AMP for parts or something like that, I cant in good concience remove it from the roster without any evidence..
im sure it will happen though! ;)
just not yet..

thanks,
Scot

#455263  by thebigham

From the NYS&W Yahoo Group:

I took a spin by the Ridgefield Park serviceing
facility, and here's what I found:

3040, facing west, in front of the
boxcar on the main; 1800, facing east, against the 0121 caboose on the
house track; and the fuel track from west to east: 3012(w), 3010(w),
3636(w), 3020(e), and 3022(e). this should be the 99 power tonight.

Also on the fuel track, but not tied to the road power were the: 2302
(e) and the 2066(w).

Ralph B.
 #455289  by kingfish

116is stored, NOT on the roster awaiting movement elsewhere.

3614 is OFF the roster never to return.

The units I listed as out of service stored bad order will probably never run again on NYSW.

The GP20 are still turbocharged. 645 power assemblies. Typical load box HP runs 1700-1900 net.

The SD70s I did not count as they are tied up long term on RailAmerica.

2300 & 3042 are not being repaired. They will move Utica to Binghamton for long term storage awaiting disposition with the two GP20s, GP38 and GP18.

As I said before the NYSW is going in a different diretion. The vast capital expenditure on the 8 SDs that went to AMP should prove that.

Have a safe day!

:-D
 #455294  by Steve F45

kingfish wrote:116is stored, NOT on the roster awaiting movement elsewhere.

3614 is OFF the roster never to return.

The units I listed as out of service stored bad order will probably never run again on NYSW.

The GP20 are still turbocharged. 645 power assemblies. Typical load box HP runs 1700-1900 net.

The SD70s I did not count as they are tied up long term on RailAmerica.

2300 & 3042 are not being repaired. They will move Utica to Binghamton for long term storage awaiting disposition with the two GP20s, GP38 and GP18.

As I said before the NYSW is going in a different diretion. The vast capital expenditure on the 8 SDs that went to AMP should prove that.

Have a safe day!

:-D
dam. i liked seeing the old NS gp40 down here in jersey with its sister 3040. But your right its time to move on. The 8 complete rebuilds, all the track and signal upgrades and crossign upgrades are all good things for nysw. Hopefully even better things will come.

#458910  by SGLX1202

Heres the most recent power update.

1800 Little Ferry
1802 Northern Div.
1804 OOS

2062 OOS
2064 OOS
2066 Little Ferry

2300 OOS
2302 Little Ferry
2304 Northern Div.

2012 OOS

3040 Little Ferry
3042 OOS

3636 OOS

Currently all road power minus 3636 is in service.
There are 6 local engines in service and 6 OOS.

#458912  by amoreho1

why is 3636 oos

#458914  by SGLX1202

one of the cylinder liners needs to be replaced....so i dont know if it will be out for too long.

#458995  by lvrr325

T&E people I've spoken with seem to prefer a GP38 to a GP40 for switching work - apparently they load faster as nonturbo units. I think I've also heard comments that the higher horsepower units can be more slippery - IE more likely to have wheelspin take place - than the lower horsepower units (I know that was an issue when Conrail tried to use single B36-7s in place of B23 pairs).

While I can see not repairing GEs or the ancient GP18/20 units, it's surprising to me that GP38/GP40 type units would not be repaired - it seems like they'd be more versatile than SD's. But perhaps they have some other plan, as previously mentioned.

#459072  by thebigham

Thanks, SGLX!!

#459117  by kingfish

In for scheduled 92 day. Failed #13power assembly. Renew right front windshield. True all wheels account flange condition.

In for 92 day. Renew failed fuel pump motor. Check and set transition.

:wink:

Kingfish

#460597  by SGLX1202

thanks for the update