Railroad Forums 

• Most recently *manufactured* steam locomotive?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#974467  by Passenger

What and when was the most recently *manufactured* steam locomotive?

I'm most interested in the answer for something manufactured for main line use in the USA, but all other answers welcome as well.

Thank you.
 #974473  by scottychaos

Last full-size standard gauge locomotive built from the ground up: The "Leviathan", completed in 2009:
http://www.leviathan63.com/

If you are talking about "Last built during the actual steam era, by an actual railroad or traditional steam locomotive builder"
then its probably locomotive "SY 1772" built by Tangshan in China in 1999.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/terrytenzin/3337009092/

If you are talking about "Last built during the actual steam era, in the USA" then its Norfolk & Western 0-8-0 number 244, built in 1953:
http://www.columbusrailroads.com/photog ... W-CLMB.jpg

The answer can vary alot, depending on the exact question! ;)

Scot
 #974648  by Steve F45

cool links. I thought I had read it on here but was there a company i think it was in Germany that said it would make a modern day version of any steam locomotive if you had the cash for it. This was like 4 years ago i thought. Could be completely wrong however.
 #974887  by timz

If "for main line use in the USA" means "other than excursions" then hard to see how it could be anything but N&W circa 1951-- whenever they built the last Y6b or last J.
 #975198  by Allen Hazen

Look at the sides of the firebox on the N&W switcher in the last of the links in Scottychaos's post: this locomotive seems to have overfire jets, a very late design feature (I'm not sure when it was actually introduced first, but I am only familiar with it on post-WW II steam locomotives)... on a locomotive whose overall configuration is basically a USRA 0-8-0. Norfolk & Western's engineering staff was conservative in the sense that they didn't try to "fix" what wasn't "broke," but also apparently perfectly willing to incorporate the latest technology when they saw a point to it.
 #975521  by mp15ac

Allen Hazen wrote:Look at the sides of the firebox on the N&W switcher in the last of the links in Scottychaos's post: this locomotive seems to have overfire jets, a very late design feature (I'm not sure when it was actually introduced first, but I am only familiar with it on post-WW II steam locomotives)... on a locomotive whose overall configuration is basically a USRA 0-8-0. Norfolk & Western's engineering staff was conservative in the sense that they didn't try to "fix" what wasn't "broke," but also apparently perfectly willing to incorporate the latest technology when they saw a point to it.
You have to remember that while the basic design of the N&W S-1 and S-1a 0-8-0's was the USRA 0-8-0, these locos (the S-1's) were the last 0-8-0's produced by a commercial builder (Baldwin). When N&W bought them from the C&O they already had overfire jets on the firebox sides, so when N&W built the S-1a's they used the same features as the S-1's (except for the tenders, which had a larger water capacity).

Stuart