Railroad Forums 

• Morristown & Erie track Gang working near Kuiken Brother

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#650394  by cjvrr

Well actually.....

We aren't counting our chickens before they are hatched. Although they are posted on the NJDOT website NONE of the money has been released to Morris County as of today (March 16) and we don't know when any of the money will be released. There are plenty of other hoops we have to jump through to 'get' this money and we have only gone through a few of the many.

I post a confirmation when the money is available for expenditure, but it hasn't happened yet.
 #650665  by geoffand

cjvrr wrote:There are plenty of other hoops we have to jump through to 'get' this money and we have only gone through a few of the many.

I post a confirmation when the money is available for expenditure, but it hasn't happened yet.
Ugh. I can't make a good non-political comment, so I'll just leave it at UGH!
 #650801  by cjvrr

RS115;

Its rehab money. Actually more like reconstruction money. Total replacement of rail, ties and ballast.

I need to check the ownership issue, but these funds are not being used for property acquisitions by Morris County. Too short a time frame for the money to be spent to do that.
 #650817  by blockline4180

Getting slightly back on topic, could Kuikens conceivably receive rail shipments before the rehab takes place or are the owners waiting until after the rails and ties are replaced??
 #679644  by RS115

The rebuilding of the branch aside, I took a ride into Horseshoe Lake Park today (along the 'disputed trail'). The rebuilding of the actual siding is essentially complete - it needs some more spiking, ballast and to be lined/tamped. When the branch is as good as the siding they'll have a nice piece of railroad. It's essentially a straight rebuild of what Wickes had at the site probably can constructively place two maybe three cars alongside the loading dock for unloading. I'm somewhat surprised given the ground up nature of the whole project that they didn't realign the siding and bring it into the closest building. But it is what it is and it willl be nice to have this part of the line active again at some point. Anyone know what Kuiken's target date is for starting operations here? I would think things would be pretty busy as they do the initial load in then stablize.
 #679653  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote:The rebuilding of the branch aside, I took a ride into Horseshoe Lake Park today (along the 'disputed trail'). The rebuilding of the actual siding is essentially complete - it needs some more spiking, ballast and to be lined/tamped. When the branch is as good as the siding they'll have a nice piece of railroad. It's essentially a straight rebuild of what Wickes had at the site probably can constructively place two maybe three cars alongside the loading dock for unloading. I'm somewhat surprised given the ground up nature of the whole project that they didn't realign the siding and bring it into the closest building. But it is what it is and it willl be nice to have this part of the line active again at some point. Anyone know what Kuiken's target date is for starting operations here? I would think things would be pretty busy as they do the initial load in then stablize.
Well, I don't know what is going on now as everytime I go past it to and from work I hardly ever see anyone in there. Maybe they decided to wait until the Chester Branch is rehabbed?? I don't know what is going on now or if it's is recession related, but usually when I pass, the gate/fence is closed.
 #685396  by blockline4180

Saw a couple people working on what looked to be the new siding into the facility. The ties and ballast looked fresh into the siding when I took a ride down towards Horseshoe park.
 #686668  by blockline4180

More drama from the Roxbury NIMBYS

"Meeting set on rail-line dispute
Roxbury objecting to $6M restoration"

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2009 ... ne+dispute
 #687131  by blockline4180

More Roxbury Township objections:
Anyone think there going to try and sue the county??
http://www.recordernewspapers.com/artic ... 128396.txt
 #688139  by cjvrr

Guys,

I would love to comment on the Chester Branch, but I just can't right now without getting in "dutch". I am sure the meeting today June 29th (which I am not involved with) will be reported in the papers.

From a field inspection last week, Kuiken's siding is essentially done, just needs ballast and tamping. Rail shipments should be starting soon.

Chris
 #688981  by blockline4180

cjvrr wrote:
From a field inspection last week, Kuiken's siding is essentially done, just needs ballast and tamping. Rail shipments should be starting soon.
That is great news, thanks for the update!
 #690523  by blockline4180

A nice view of the rebuilt siding!
http://www.railfan.net/lists/erielackph ... G_4180.jpg

If anyone can trace the first movements into Kuikens try and let us know!

Thanks!