Railroad Forums 

• Morrison Railway Supply in Buffalo?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#671706  by nydepot

Anyone know where Morrison Railway Supply Corp was in the greater Buffalo area? I think they were there in the late 50s. They may have used the reporting mark of "MRCX" which was eliminated in 1980. They may have been a railcar repair shop.

Thanks,

Charles
 #671870  by BR&P

Charles, that name rings a bell but can't recall exactly. I *think* they may have been in the old PRR roundhouse complex before Ebenezer Railcar took it over. Ebenezer started in 1981 and the facility was probably phased out shortly after PC was created in 1968. That's not the late 50's as you speculated but does give Morrison perhaps 10 years or so at that location. Or maybe I'm all wrong.
 #671945  by nydepot

You are correct Don.

From a friend with some firsthand knowledge:

"The Morrison Rwy. Supply was in the Ebenezer engine house facility. They went in there either late '68 or early '69. I know for a short time even though they had moved all the engine house personnel to Frontier, we still got our power at Ebenezer, as the engines were brought to us with engine change crews."

BR&P wrote:Charles, that name rings a bell but can't recall exactly. I *think* they may have been in the old PRR roundhouse complex before Ebenezer Railcar took it over. Ebenezer started in 1981 and the facility was probably phased out shortly after PC was created in 1968. That's not the late 50's as you speculated but does give Morrison perhaps 10 years or so at that location. Or maybe I'm all wrong.
 #672022  by BSOR Patarak

I believe they were around even longer than that. They also sold track materials along with the railcar repair/leasing. The A&A's later fleet of interchange box cars came through Morrison Railway Supply. I don't have all of the info, but a quick search of the Buffalo News archives will bring up quite a bit of history on them. I had done that at the downtown Library once...I'll see if I can find the list of dates.

Pat
 #695895  by Steve1939

Morrison Railway Supply had its yard and Offices on Baily Ave. Buffalo, NY and its main office at the Rand Building, Buffalo. It subsequently moved to the Ellicut Square Building, Buffalo unitl it was aquired. It was an off shoot of Morrison and Reisman Scrap Iron and was formed by Raymond Morrison, Marvin Morrison and George Kass.
 #695905  by Steve1939

FYI, they also formed Morrison International and International Car Company. They made railway cabooses and racks to hold tires in gas stations. In addition they built a vinegar car (a specialized type of tank car designed to transport vinegar). The largest such car built was built by Morrison Railway Supply Corporation in 1968. The car's underframe included all of the modern conveniences of freight car design including roller bearing trucks and cushioning devices built by FreightMaster, while the tank that rode on it, made of Douglas Fir, had a capacity of 17,100 US gallons (64,731 L; 14,239 imp gal). The car, in what has been called 'the largest wooden tank car ever built', took 18 months to build.

Morrison International went out of business in 1964 when it was sold to Ryder. MRS continued until 1980when it was sold.
 #810264  by mmorrison

hi. i am the great-granddaughter of the founder. raymond morrison was my grandfather & i am looking for any info. on the company history. great to find some on here & i would welcome any info. anyone has.
 #1114478  by jonseyo

i have 18 pocket monthly calenders from the world war 2 with Earl Moran pinup girls on the cover With Morrison railway supply corp. ad on them there are 18 months from 1943 to the late 46, plus another hand fulls of less important pictures on them but all Morrison railway on them any interest. i pulled these out of the Dansville ny train depot
 #1479536  by edpostjr

Morrison Railway Supply had operations in the city of Buffalo- shop on Greene Street; headquarters in the Rand or Tischman Building downtown and a railcar repair operation in the Buffalo suburb of West Seneca; hamlet of Ebenezer.
My father had been a railroad carpenter and worked there part time. When I was 16, he got me in there for a full time summer job (1970) where I got to do heavy industrial (pre OSHA !) stuff like sandblasting, painting and general labor. They would replace wood in box cars; rebuild journal boxes;welding, sandblast the interior of tank cars; painting; stenciling, etc. The were adjacent to part of an old roundhouse they used and there were other old railroad buildings around on the site.
General Manager : Mr. Bennett; foreman Vince Gomez, I believe.
Good memories.

Ebenezer Railcar Services went into their space after Morrison didn't operate there.....and not Eastern Railway Supply
 #1504928  by Buss2510

Hi, I worked at Morrison Railway Supply from the fall of 1973 until it closed in the fall of 1978. Located off of Indian Church between Harlem and Union in West Seneca NY. A relatively small operation I worked a variety of jobs including operating crane, cherry picker. As a member of a union we worked hard in all the elements but, were properly compensated along with health insurance at no cost. I left in 1978 at $6.25 an hour. A great boss, Paul Manning. Some others were Ron Ward, Bob Scholtez, Dave Ismert, Gary Wesolowski, Bob Wingels, Dave Pruski, Bruce, John, Gary, Ray. Great guys, great memories
 #1519455  by mmorrison

jonseyo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 am i have 18 pocket monthly calenders from the world war 2 with Earl Moran pinup girls on the cover With Morrison railway supply corp. ad on them there are 18 months from 1943 to the late 46, plus another hand fulls of less important pictures on them but all Morrison railway on them any interest. i pulled these out of the Dansville ny train depot
I JUST saw this. If you still have them I would be highly interested!!!
 #1519456  by mmorrison

jonseyo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 am i have 18 pocket monthly calenders from the world war 2 with Earl Moran pinup girls on the cover With Morrison railway supply corp. ad on them there are 18 months from 1943 to the late 46, plus another hand fulls of less important pictures on them but all Morrison railway on them any interest. i pulled these out of the Dansville ny train depot
I JUST saw this. If you still have them I would be highly interested!!!
 #1555538  by djdelama

Buss2510 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 pm Hi, I worked at Morrison Railway Supply from the fall of 1973 until it closed in the fall of 1978. Located off of Indian Church between Harlem and Union in West Seneca NY. A relatively small operation I worked a variety of jobs including operating crane, cherry picker. As a member of a union we worked hard in all the elements but, were properly compensated along with health insurance at no cost. I left in 1978 at $6.25 an hour. A great boss, Paul Manning. Some others were Ron Ward, Bob Scholtez, Dave Ismert, Gary Wesolowski, Bob Wingels, Dave Pruski, Bruce, John, Gary, Ray. Great guys, great memories
Well, if it isn't Mike! I hope you're doing well after all these years. I shall remain nameless -- and thanks for not explicitly listing me. :P
 #1629618  by ChuckM

mmorrison wrote: Mon May 24, 2010 5:03 am hi. i am the great-granddaughter of the founder. raymond morrison was my grandfather & i am looking for any info. on the company history. great to find some on here & i would welcome any info. anyone has.
I don't know about Raymond Morrison, but my mother knew A. A. Morrison. She was a live-in maid (from Indonesia & Netherlands) with his family, at 25 Nottingham Terrace, in Buffalo, for one year, from 1962 to 1963. My mother said he was a very kind man.
My mother brought me to this huge house one day, I recall a 'steeplechase' (or fox hunt?) scene painted in the dining room, with one poor chap who had fallen off his horse.
My mother married in 1963, A. A. Morrison passed away a few months after that.
Chuck