Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#591725  by Jeff Smith

Interesting...........a very short article, though.

NY Journal News Article
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority plans to sell the interiors of subway tunnels, space on turnstiles and the outer facades of subway cars to advertisers. There will also be digital screens inside stations and projections against subway station walls. The ads in inner subway tunnels will appear animated - much like a flip book - when seen through windows.
 #591727  by DarkSun

Sarge wrote:Interesting...........a very short article, though.

NY Journal News Article
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority plans to sell the interiors of subway tunnels, space on turnstiles and the outer facades of subway cars to advertisers. There will also be digital screens inside stations and projections against subway station walls. The ads in inner subway tunnels will appear animated - much like a flip book - when seen through windows.
Heh, we already have 'animated' ads in inner subway tunnels and ads on the outer facades of light rail cars here in Boston. (An infamous ad on a light rail car read: "This trolley gets around more than your sister.") We also have plenty of ads on subway station walls, although they're just standard illuminated posters, not projections. (But no ads on faregates or on the outer facades of heavy rail subway cars, and no digital screens...)
 #592162  by Kaback9

They have stuff like this in DC for a while now, The ads in the Tunnels were Target ads last I saw.
 #593807  by Radioguy

The ads in inner subway tunnels will appear animated - much like a flip book - when seen through windows.
They let the Masstransiscope fall into disrepair, and then they do this? It's a little nauseating.
 #594755  by arrow

PATH has the ads in the tunnels - I know there is one westbound coming from WTC just before Exchange Place. There used to be one near 14th St as well, but I haven't been over there in awhile.

There are so many ads plastered all over everything now adays that I think many people just ignore them. One thing I can't understand is why they don't start printing ads on the back of the MetroCards again.
 #595277  by Passenger

... But critics say there's already too many advertisements in the subway system.
Because they take away from the natural beauty of the subway. :wink:
 #595567  by Radioguy

Aesthetics are secondary to function, and if there ever comes a day where that isn't true in the NYC subway system, then look up, because the sky will be full of flying cars.

That said, the interior wrapping of seats is impractical, and interfere with use. They have to draw the line there.
 #612668  by Lucius Ameri

In addition to the "stripe" ads on R62s, the MTA has now also added Coca Cola window ads to the side windows of R44s on the A.
 #612781  by orangeline

Full-car exterior ads and some dedicated interior ads have been around CTA for a few years. If nothing else, they add color to otherwise uniformly looking trains.