Railroad Forums 

• more sports team charters

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1578151  by CNJGeep

For the NH Trains, there would be a crew change at Penn Station. The train was a regular revenue NJT train prior to or following the game
 #1578152  by CNJGeep

There was an 809 out tonight on the NYP Line, they passed us by the division post. Looked to be a motor + 4 with the 9800 trailing
 #1578227  by west point

About the pilot. Why would MNRR have someone qualified on the Hell gate line ? Now if it was an Amtrak pilot --- or even an Amtrak engineer qualified on the NJ Transit equipment.
 #1578229  by ExCon90

I didn't consider Hell Gate qualification because of thinking about Yankee Stadium. But since the trains for the Meadows actually got to NYP, might MN have had a few of their engineers qualify for those assignments in preparation for the service? In my post I was thinking about qualifications of NJT engineers for running MN equipment on NJT; how did they deal with that on previous runs? (Maybe MN could have furnished a Road Foreman to accompany the movement at no additional cost in salary ...)
 #1578245  by CNJGeep

Metro North crews qualified on the Hell Gate Line. There were qualification and re-qualification trains run each year prior to the start of service.

MN engineers and conductors had to qualify on the NJ Transit equipment used for the service as well.

Upon arrival at NYP, the train would be handed off to an NJT crew and go to Trenton or elsewhere as a scheduled trains. Passengers would transfer at Secaucus for the Meadowlands train.
 #1608474  by eolesen

Baltimore Ravens posted a quick clip to Twitter yesterday of the team boarding what looks like an Amtrak charter to NYC. They play the Giants today at the Meadowlands.
 #1608483  by nomis

Could be Newark, NJ. Parts of the glass ceiling at NWK are like the 30th street upper level.
 #1608556  by HenryAlan

eolesen wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:46 am The MLB CBA doesn't require it. Perhaps individual teams might, but there are many stories of Cubs and Brewers players driving themselves to the team hotel and taking the team bus to the stadium.
Most of the time, that actually wouldn't work, due to the way MLB road trips are constructed. The teams usually leave after the third game, directly from the stadium to whatever transportation they are using for the next series on the schedule. So a Cubs player might drive to Milwaukee for a Friday or Saturday game, but on Sunday, they'd need to leave Milwaukee with the rest of the team. That creates some complexity regarding the players' cars. I'm sure it happens some, but most of the time, probably not.
 #1609431  by nomis

Here’s why the Baltimore Ravens took Amtrak to their games against New York’s teams
https://www.fastcompany.com/90790376/he ... their-game
When the Baltimore Ravens football team set out for its October 16 game against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the team packed up thousands of pounds of luggage, gathered its 53-man roster and more than 120 other coaches, support staff, and assistants, and headed to the Amtrak station.

The day before the game, around noon, 179 people from the Ravens organization flooded into Baltimore’s Penn Station and boarded a six-car chartered Amtrak train. It was actually the team’s second Amtrak commute of the season, after a September 11 trip to New Jersey to play the New York Jets. [...] Inside, in the fully booked train, players and team representatives wandered about and gazed out the windows like school kids on a field trip. About two hours later, the team arrived in Newark, not far from their hotel and a quick ride to the stadium.

Leading that planning is Joan Fennekohl, vice president of team travel. She says plans for the Ravens train trip to Newark involved several walk-throughs at Baltimore’s train station, coordination with the team’s security detail, and determining how much space the team would need to carry its bulky equipment—and even bulkier players.

“We make sure everybody’s got an open seat next to them. That’s the biggest thing to do. We’re not packed in there. We get extra cars. I think there’s 300 seats that we had and we had 179 people on the train. That’s what you have to do, especially with these big guys,” says Fennekohl.
 #1609506  by STrRedWolf

nomis wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:53 am Here’s why the Baltimore Ravens took Amtrak to their games against New York’s teams
https://www.fastcompany.com/90790376/he ... their-game
Boiled down, there's certain situations where it pays to charter a train. Amtrak charters are $10K cheaper if it's between cities where it serves and has stations on. Everything is coordinated and staff/players get assigned seats. No squishing of bulky players (because they essentially bought two tickets per player) and they got on w/o having to be screened and sniffed.
 #1609570  by STrRedWolf

daybeers wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:24 pm Makes so much sense to me. I wonder how fast the ride was from BAL to NWK nonstop.
About 175 miles in about 2 hours? Averaging about 88 MPH. No wonders that they some some serious...

Well, you know the quote. :)