Railroad Forums 

• More on CN Takeovers

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#451900  by Tadman

To get back to CN's buying spree over the last ten years, it's always shocked me that CN hasn't sold lots of low to medium density former WC, DMIR, and BLE lines to concentrate on line-haul high-density traffic and also to raise cash for the next big buyout.

Once CN and UP own everything on North America, is the trans-siberian railroad going to be next? I think if China would relax ownership laws, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the biggies from around here get an operating contract over there. But that's probably a wholly inappropriate discussion topic for this thread.

Moderator's note: Subject split from CN buying EJ&E topic. (Ken V)

#451908  by Clique of One

Tadman wrote:To get back to CN's buying spree over the last ten years, it's always shocked me that CN hasn't sold lots of low to medium density former WC, DMIR, and BLE lines to concentrate on line-haul high-density traffic and also to raise cash for the next big buyout.

Once CN and UP own everything on North America, is the trans-siberian railroad going to be next? I think if China would relax ownership laws, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the biggies from around here get an operating contract over there. But that's probably a wholly inappropriate discussion topic for this thread.
Everything and everyone will be assimilated by the Borg.

#452730  by Komachi

Resistance is futile.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

As for Tadman's comments on CN not divesting themselves of operations like the BLE or the DM&IR, didn't they acquire them more or less for certian routes more than for the business end of these shortlines? Take the DM&IR for example, didn't they buy that for better access to the twin ports (Duluth, MN/Superior, WI)? I know they started downsizing operations on the DM&IR after acquisition, so it appears they have little or no interest in the ore-hauling aspect of the line (even though MN provides 2/3 of the nation's Taconite supply).

(Then again, I'm not up on all the details of the transaction, nor the operations of the line since the CN takeover, so if anyone can enlighten me/us on that, it would be appreciated.)

#453737  by Tadman

Erik, I think we're looking at the same issue from two different viewpoints - what I envisioned was the sales of the DMIR non-critical tracks, in other words, anything that doesn't fit into the main reason CN bought DMIR - the access to the ports. Due to my lack of DMIR knowledge, I think that would be ore operations, track not crucial to CN mainline line-haul, and trackage rights to reach the ports for the *new* DMIR.

Disclaimer - none of the above is rumor or fact, just exploration of a busienss scenario. There is NO new DMIR nor has anybody been speaking of one.

#455764  by lakeshoredave

I could very easily see 4 Class 1's in 25-30 years....CN, CP, BNSF, UP

FEC will be the top class 2.

And there will still be several class 3's.

#457527  by bufftbone

lock4244 wrote:Four? More like two... Borg #1 and Borg #2.
WE are the Borg, resistance is futile.