Railroad Forums 

• More old USGS maps

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#125799  by Richard M. Utter

About 110 maps, covering all of Vermont and New Hampshire, have been added to the collection at http://67.51.174.143 . These are images of old U. S. Geological Survey maps which were pieced together from the JPG fragments available at http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm . The ones I reassembled generally date from the 1890s to the 1930s.

These latest maps, particularly the ones covering New Hampshire, are so much better than my previous efforts that I'll probably redo the maps covering the other five states.
 #125923  by zz4

I always found such maps invaluable.

For research it could be a large 'tab' if everybody had to buy each one individually.

Free? I guess if somebody can support the hosting and bandwidth costs.....

#126166  by bwparker1

If you could tackle Maine Richard, that would be great.

Brooks

#126538  by Richard M. Utter

In reponse to the two previous notes:

The web site lives on the system under the desk in my office here at home. The web server and FTP server software cost nothing, so the only ongoing cost is for the DSL hookup. And that I'd have in any case.

Maine is the one New England state I'm unlikely to get to in the future, simply because of its size. There are about 190 maps covering it. But there's nothing preventing others from reassembling these maps. If you're willing to settle for maps with margins, the software needed to put the four JPGs back together and clean up the color costs nothing. Look for "nip2" and "GIMP" on the credits page on the web site.

As an example, check out ftp://67.51.174.143/OldUSGS/Portland1891-90PC.jpg . I downloaded the necessary four JPGs from U. of N. H. just now, reassembled them with nip2, then touched up the color a bit with GIMP, in seven minutes. This isn't rocket surgery--really. A few mouse clicks are all that's required to reassemble the maps. Color enhancement isn't much more difficult. If someone else wants to try this and encounters difficulties, drop me a line and I'll do what I can to help.

#135539  by Richard M. Utter

Fifteen Rhode Island maps, with publication dates ranging from 1892 to 1899, are now available at www.garbuttny.us . (Vermont and New Hampshire are there, too.) The numeric IP addresses mentioned in my previous notes are now invalid.

#136857  by Richard M. Utter

35 maps covering Connecticut and 55 Massachusetts maps are now available at www.garbuttny.us . Almost all were originally published during the 1885-1905 period. Unfortunately, several of the maps (covering parts of south and southeastern Massachusetts) were spoiled by someone armed with scissors and colored pencils.