Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #15004  by CG Tower

The signal and switch project between Hopple Street and Colerain Ave in Cincinnati is almost complete. On Monday, April 26, all of the new switches and signals will be activated and the old signals removed. This includes the origianl 1927 era signal bridge at RH Tower.

More classic signals fall...

CG Tower

#15635  by WNYRailfan

Are the original signals being donated to a museum or historical group?

Why discard historical signals. :)

WNYRailfan

#15732  by hutton_switch

WNYRailfan wrote:Are the original signals being donated to a museum or historical group?

Why discard historical signals. :)

WNYRailfan
The B&O RR Historical Society has a dwarf CPL signal that they hope to make functional again that was retrieved from the tearing up of ROW between Fairmont and Wheeling, WV. I would think that any person or organization interested in saving any signal could get such a historical piece if their timing is right to take the appropriate action before these either make it to a scrap dealer or landfill.

#31092  by dkgrubb

If any one wants a picture or two, I know there is a CPL still up at the Brunswick, Maryland yard, and there is also one just out of Grafton, West Virginia. Hope some one can get to them before they are gone.
Keith

#38216  by MR77100

Are there CPL's still standing east of Greenwich, OH? Are they still there in Sterling? What about on on the B&O in Toledo?

#47049  by Trainheartedguy

dkgrubb wrote:If any one wants a picture or two, I know there is a CPL still up at the Brunswick, Maryland yard
There are actually 2 within view of the parking lot, I took a few shots of one of them today while it was on, Ill post one maybe when I get them online. As for museums getting them, supposedly the Brunswick Museum supposedly has one in a storage building (I havn't yet seen it) that was from Point of Rocks. they want to have it set up along the side of the museum biolding, and have it operating to show when the museum is open, but as of now finances aren't available. there is also one on display (Non operational) in the park down the street from the museum.
 #97066  by RailMike

In Washington DC, there's a stretch of the Orange Line of the Metrorail (subway) that runs between two active freight lines: Pennsy on one side (with still-standing catenary towers), and B&O on the other. Near the Deanwood station on the Metrorail it has long been possible to see two CPL structures, at least one of which having that classic finial on top. But when riding the Metro last week, what did I see adjacent to the CPLs? A shiny steel signal gantry with new signals pointed sideways. These signals were the traditional r-y-g lights, with the unique feature of having one common visor stretched over all three lenses.

Looks like we're about to lose yet another set of CPLs. The overhead gantries over the B&O tracks near Union Station seem to still be intact, though. The old main line still had CPLs when I took an excursion there a few years ago.

#137605  by mc367

CPL's can still be found on most of the Magnolia Cut Off, although a few have been replaced. In Cumberland there are still a few in the yard as well as Mexico Tower, and the old West End out to Grafton still has the CPL's. Never saw any during an October trip on the Mountain Sub, but we only made it as far as M&K.

-Justin

#138011  by MC8000

Are the CPL's still on the B&O Toledo line south out of Toledo? Have any of them been replaced between Toledo and Deshler?

#170706  by Sam Damon

There is still an old CPL or two (turned sideways) on the approach to the Bellaire, OH Ohio River Bridge.

Perhaps a historical society or two might be interested in preserving them?

#409899  by Malley

The CPLs at Shoo Fly, Pinkerton and Markleton are now gone. So are ANY signals at Shoo Fly and Markleton; one was moved west to Ft. Hill, and the other was simply eliminated.
Cited places are on the line over Sandpatch, between Rockwood and Confluence.
Malley

#410830  by CSXT 700

The B&O from Perrysburgh, south to at least I think (IIRC) Lima, are mostly still CPL's. A few here and there, have been replaced, but mostly, and largeley, they are still there. Also from Greenwich/Boyd, most are still in place all the way to Warwick, but east of there, not shure.

#411910  by scooter3798

There are still quite a few CPL's in place between Washington and Pittsburgh. A good many of them being east of Cumberland. Most along the Magnolia cutoff are readily accessable as well (Paw Paw, Carothers, Magnolia, Hansrote, Etc.). Between Cumberland and Connellsville a good number have dissapeared though, Rockwood just went about two or three months ago. Near Connellsville and to the west there is still a nice group, Greene Jct., Broadford, Jacob's Creek to name a few.

Scooter

#447779  by Alco83

I have heard that CSX is on the war path trying to take down CPLs as fast as they can... :( If interested I certainly wouldn't wait to get any photos.

#462562  by [email protected]

:( I saw CPLs going down on the Philly sub .They are in Harve De grace MD . I grew up in this area . I used to go to Magnolia west Va every summer .We had a cabin right next to the tracks in Magnoilia . Loved to sit & watch those CPLs . Anyone know if the cabin still there? Anyhow I live in Cecil county Md .I drive to the old B&O holly tree every Sunday morning to see the CPLs there Id hate to see them go down . I am trying to buy one for my yard lol. Anyone know where I can get one?