Railroad Forums 

• Arrow III Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#175512  by sunwin

No more 12.5 kV at 60Hz since the coast line was switched to 25 kV.

The ALP-46 was based on the German BR-101 and there is a diesel version running in Greece. Is a dual-mode ALP-46 possible?
catch wrote:By the way to this, two things / questions:

1st, Is there really 12.5kV/60Hz still in use?
2st, to pass the stations with a train, where overhead line ends, a hybrid loco would be a good solution ( 12kV / 25kV / diesel). Might be possible on 4 axles (3rd rail in addition, wouldn't, I guess). What do you think?

#175692  by catch

Hello Sunwin,
Thanks for the info, so 12.5kV are obsolete and shall be no longer taken for design any propulsion equipment for NJT, as I understand.

The diesel, you've mentioned, is a brother of the 101, thats right, but the ALP46 is much more a class 185 than a 101, and in deep, the ALP is more than 80% pure design for NJT. But yes, the starting point for the ALP46 was the 101.

The have a dieselversion of the 101, I'm shure it would be smaller and not so heavy as the ALSTOM now, and based on the knowledge of the ALP46 company, hybrid, or AC/DC modes can be made, too.

It finally depends on the all present questions about time to realize, price and special wishes of NJT. Then, I'm shure, there can be 125mph ALPs, dual mode or hybrid ALPs.

Lets look, what NJT needs and wants

Best wishes

#175855  by F40

Third rail will not suit NJT given the costly construction of building electric power, so dual-mode DC locomotives will never be NJT's.

125mph is not feasible because of the many short distance stops NJT has (except for the PJ and New Brunswick stretch). But an investment will not be made to shave 'several seconds' on this portion as opposed to the current 100mph push-pull operation on the NEC.

GE has given thought to but never implemented the manufacture of a dual mode OCS (catenary)/diesel locomotive, thus all dual mode locomotives currently available are for contact rail systems.

#175860  by Irish Chieftain

Is a dual-mode ALP-46 possible?
Do you possibly mean PL42AC? The ALP46 is all-electric.

Incidentally, the top speed of the ALP46 equivalent(s) in Germany, when pulling passenger equipment, is approximately 138 mph.

#176172  by Wdobner

http://www.railcolor.net/
sunwin wrote:No more 12.5 kV at 60Hz since the coast line was switched to 25 kV.

The ALP-46 was based on the German BR-101 and there is a diesel version running in Greece. Is a dual-mode ALP-46 possible?
Those Greek locomotives are somewhat interesting. They're designed to have the 12 cylinder prime mover removed and replaced with the same electric traction supplies which a standard Bombardier Traxx electric locomotive would have when electrification from Athens to the Macedonian border is completed. This doesn't make them dual modes as they'll never be equipped for service both in diesel and electric areas at the same time, but the modularity of those locos is an intriguing concept. It certainly seems possible that NJT could have ordered the Prima-based PL42ACs with the same provisions the Greeks ordered on their Traxx-based DE2000s. That way if the Main Bergen or any other diesel line were electrified and run into NYP or the proposed ARC terminal no new rolling stock would be required, unless a service increase at the same time was desired.
Catch wrote: so 12.5kV are obsolete and shall be no longer taken for design any propulsion equipment for NJT, as I understand.
If I understand transformers correctly it is unlikely that a locomotive or EMU designed to operate under both 11.5kv at 25hz and 25kv at 60hz would not have the capability to run under 12.5kv at 60hz. I believe the lower frequency 11.5kv requires a large transformer core but relatively few windings, while the 25kv at commercial frequency power requires a smaller core, but uses many windings. As such a transformer or system of transformers designed to work with both really just needs one more tap off the transformer, and in fact it may be possible to use the same tap as the 11.5kv power.

Also, if Amtrak ever upgrades the catenary on the NEC to 25kv they'll likely be using 12.5kv power through the North River tubes, as well as Baltimore and such (not that that's NJT's problem). It may or may not happen, and most likely won't, but as the Arrows illustrate it's a good idea to be prepared for all line voltages encountered along that route. With the simplicity of providing for a 12.5kv line voltage in just taking one more tap off the transformer I don't see why you wouldn't prepare for it.
The have a dieselversion of the 101, I'm shure it would be smaller and not so heavy as the ALSTOM now, and based on the knowledge of the ALP46 company, hybrid, or AC/DC modes can be made, too.

I don't know if you're talking about the Siemens Eurorunner. That's a diesel version of the Eurosprinter, which although resembling the Class 101 is wholly unrelated to it. Bombardier is quite odd when it comes to locomotives, they have a wonderful lineup of modular electric locos in their Traxx line, but very little in the way of a standardized diesel locomotive outside the Traxx-based DE2000s. Both Siemens and Alstom have diesel variants of their modular electric locomotives available in the form of the Eurorunner and Prima lines, yet Bombardier keeps their diesel loco business a cottage industry-like operation.

At this point the ALP46 is unfortunately locomotiva-non-grata with the FRA. With the latest implementation of FRA crashworthiness standards the ALP46 and PL42AC are grandfathered. So while the FRA isn't expecting NJT to cart them off to the dump they're not going to be buying any more. Thus something like the DE2000 is completely out of the question, the FRA would simply forbid it's operation without a ton of paperwork and even then it'd be an iffy proposition.

However, as you say, an AC/DC locomotive is not only possible, they're being built. A locomotive based on the Siemens ES64F4 or Bombardier F140MS would be easily capable of running both on 25kv, 12.5kv, 11.5kv@25hz, and even 750vdc 3rd rail. At this point the big changes that would need to be made would be a beefed up carbody for the FRA, 3rd rail shoes for the 3rd rail, thicker cables for the higher amp loads the 750vdc transmits (as opposed to the 1500vdc the ES64F4 and F140MS are designed for), and a slightly changed transformer to handle commercial frequencies of 60hz instead of 50hz and 11.5kv@25hz as opposed to [email protected]. With something like this NJT and LIRR could run true through-service, with NJT terminating trains west of Jamaica and LIRR running through to EWR or something. It also might be possible to run such a locomotive from New London through to Grand Central terminal, but that's a matter for another board.
F40 wrote:Third rail will not suit NJT given the costly construction of building electric power, so dual-mode DC locomotives will never be NJT's.
<snip>
GE has given thought to but never implemented the manufacture of a dual mode OCS (catenary)/diesel locomotive, thus all dual mode locomotives currently available are for contact rail systems.
It is possible that NJT would simply use 3rd rail from Penn Station through to Secaucus or so, thereby reducing the number of substations required to like 3 or less. This would allow NJT to run relatively easily built DC dual modes without the technical challengest involved in an AC/diesel dual mode. Of course a dual mode does nothing to increase the efficiency of running a low headway commuter railroad, so by no means would creating a dual mode give an alternative to electrification.
Irish Chieftain wrote:Do you possibly mean PL42AC? The ALP46 is all-electric.

Incidentally, the top speed of the ALP46 equivalent(s) in Germany, when pulling passenger equipment, is approximately 138 mph.
By no means is a dual mode ALP46-based locomotive totally out of the question. It's just highly unlikely both due to the physical contraints of the body and the FRA's rules against that locomotive type now at this time. Siemen's Eurorunner locomotives are diesel locomotives of the same size as the ALP46s and it's likely could make one of them into a dual mode with only a minor amount of difficulty. Looking at the dual mode 1500vdc/diesel DEMUs the french just put out is somewhat impressive, if they can do something like that then there almost seems to be no locomotive too small for turning into a dual mode. Bombardier has proven they can put a diesel prime mover into an ALP46-like frame, and Alstom's DEMUs prove that dual modes can come in small packages.

As 'Catch' said above, the ALP46s are rather thinly related to the Class 101. The ALP46 really is a Bombardier Traxx locomotive, which although decended from the Class 101 really is a distinct design. Saying an ALP46 or any other Traxx locomotive is the same as the Class 101 is kind of like saying an SD70 is the same as an SD50. They may look similar, and they may be from the same manufacturers once you allow for mergers, but really they're quite distinct products. The ALP46 under Bombardier's nomenclature would be a P160AC Bicourant, that is a Passenger locomotive capable of 160km/h (100mph), capable of operating on two AC voltage systems. With the rise of high speed EMUs it's rather unlikely that we'll see any more high speed (200km/h) locomotives like the Class 101, which would have been a P200AC Monocourant under BBD's scheme if it'd been built by them.

http://www.railcolor.net/

#176191  by Nasadowsk

I'll have to check, but I believe the PL-42AC and the ALP-46 both are still ok under existing FRA regulations, unless they changed yet again after the late 90's.

The PL-42AC won't meet current EPA, though. EPA regs and FRA regs are two different beasts - the '46 doesn't have any EPA regs to meet.

What the existing FRA regs have done is make new equipment very expensive for it's performance. I've heard at least one source at NJT say that they're not going to be looking at expanding service if it means new equipment - the stuff out there is way too much money...

Of course, the future may be in RiverLINE style operation, i.e. time sepparated and non compliant equipment. Austin's upcomming commuter rail system will use extended versions of the GTW 2/6, with a huge price and performance advantage - they'll be getting darn near electric performance with a bus emissions / noise footprint, and level boarding. So what if they have to kick the 2 freights a week into the late night? Boxcars don't care when/if they arrive, people do. Being faster than driving and convient sells tickets. Being FRA compliant gets the FRA and railfans all excited. but the general public could care less...

#176199  by Irish Chieftain

The ALP46 really is a Bombardier Traxx locomotive
You are judging this by appearance? The Traxx has a top speed of about 87 mph. Anecdotes by trusted sources who participate on this forum cite the ALP-46 top end to be much higher than the commonly advertised 100 mph. (BTW, congratulations; Google cites you as the sole source for any correlation between Traxx and ALP46.)
the Siemens Eurorunner
...actually looks nothing like the 101-class. You may as well say that EMD's JT42CWR looks like the 101-class, in that case.

#176202  by Nasadowsk

Not much BBD about the ALP-46, except that they owned Adtranz at the time it was built....

The thing wins the award for most screwed up truck design, though. If you've ever seen one up close, you'd know why. I'm still trying to figure out how/why the thing even stays on the track...

(But it does - even if it looks like it shouldn't. Much like the laws of aerodynamics supposedly say bumblebees can't fly. But they do anyway...)

#176203  by hsr_fan

The ALP-46 seems like one of the better new locomotive purchases made by a U.S. passenger railroad in recent history. It's certainly been more reliable than a lot of the stuff that Amtrak, NJ Transit, and others have bought in recent years.

#176213  by Wdobner

Nasadowsk wrote:I'll have to check, but I believe the PL-42AC and the ALP-46 both are still ok under existing FRA regulations, unless they changed yet again after the late 90's.

The PL-42AC won't meet current EPA, though. EPA regs and FRA regs are two different beasts - the '46 doesn't have any EPA regs to meet.
I dunno, a quick google search turned up this article from Railway Age, stating that the PL42AC is both FRA Tier I compatible, EPA Tier I compatible, and that the 16-710G3B-T1 engine is upgradable to Tier II compatibility after 2007. I couldn't figure out if the ALP46 is still FRA compatible.

Here is the article:
www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1215/
is_8_203/ai_90989673/pg_2
Of course, the future may be in RiverLINE style operation, i.e. time sepparated and non compliant equipment. Austin's upcomming commuter rail system will use extended versions of the GTW 2/6, with a huge price and performance advantage - they'll be getting darn near electric performance with a bus emissions / noise footprint, and level boarding. So what if they have to kick the 2 freights a week into the late night? Boxcars don't care when/if they arrive, people do. Being faster than driving and convient sells tickets. Being FRA compliant gets the FRA and railfans all excited. but the general public could care less...
In the instance of the Riverline and other branch line operations why even bother with timeshares? The freight traffic is light even when compressed into the overnight periods. Install a few more passing sidings and run one of the cars around the freights. The freights aren't going to jump the tracks, and even if they do it'll be a very slow speed crash. I'm not looking for us to put GTW 2/6s out on the CSX, NS or UP mainlines, but on so lightly traveled a branch as the Riverline the timeshare is more a hinderance than anything else. Eliminating timeshares on lightly used branches would enable them to have easily accessible, passenger friendly equipment run on them while not shutting the freight operations out completely. Admittedly freight ops should still be restricted to overnight hours, when the passenger headways are lowest, but still that's better for both parties than either dropping headways overnight, shutting out freight service altogether, or going for passenger unfriendly equipment like companies making the FRA compatible cars are doing now. The clear advantage of this in NJ outside the Riverline would be that the line to Tenafly could be run as an HBLRT line without having to shut down overnight and still allowing freight to serve the line.
Irish Chieftain wrote:You are judging this by appearance? The Traxx has a top speed of about 87 mph. Anecdotes by trusted sources who participate on this forum cite the ALP-46 top end to be much higher than the commonly advertised 100 mph. (BTW, congratulations; Google cites you as the sole source for any correlation between Traxx and ALP46.)
If you'd checked the site, railcolor.net, which inexplicably was linked to twice in my prior posting you'd see that under the Bombardier Traxx entry the nomenclature by which Bombardier assigns its designations is explicitly explained. Your assertion that the maximum speed of a Traxx locomotive is 87mph is false, as I illustrated in the prior posting. The Traxx locomotives currently come in both Passenger and Freight variants, with the only real difference being that the freight motors use an F and invariably have a top speed of 140km/h (or 87mph), while the passenger locomotives generally have a large destination sign, a P designation, and a top speed of 160km/h (or 100mph, same as the ALP46). The ALP46 is certainly a late model Bombardier electric locomotive derived from the design process they acquired with Adtranz and built at the same plant they also build the Traxx P160AC1s, F140MSs, or F140AC2s (known to Germany as the DB Class 185). They also share the same propulsion system, the MITRAC system which wasn't in use in 1997 when the Class 101s were being built. Certainly allowing for differences in equipment such as brakes and radios, the cabs resemble each other, although the Class 145's cab has more in the way of steam gauges like NJT's do. It is likely that with the modifications NJT requested and the FRA mandated the ALP46 bears little resemblance to it's immediate contemporaries in Germany, but those 185s are likely the closest to NJT's locos on the family tree. Thus it isn't incorrect to say that the ALP46 is related to the Class 101, it's just highly inaccurate, like saying that the SD70 is directly related to the SD50.
(The Siemens Eurorunner) actually looks nothing like the 101-class. You may as well say that EMD's JT42CWR looks like the 101-class, in that case.
I was not saying the ALP46 or PL42AC were in anyway related to the Siemens Eurorunner. I was illustrating that a lightweight, relatively powerful diesel could indeed be built upon a frame as small and lightweight as the ALP46. At the same time France has placed a full dual-mode powertrain in a downright tiny package, in a Talent-sized DMU. If France can get a dual mode power system to work in such a tiny DEMU then it's likely somebody could fit a dual mode powersystem into the Eurorunner. I chose the Eurorunner simply because Bombardier doesn't have a systematic diesel locomotive program, their products tend to be one-offs like Blue Tiger and the Greek DE2000. Admittedly it's highly unlikely we here in the US would ask for such a locomotive, but if some european group wanted it it'd certainly be possible. Even then, they tend to just electrify what they need rather than try and force dual modes to work, France's DEMUs aside.

#176334  by catch

Irish Chieftain wrote:Incidentally, the top speed of the ALP46 equivalent(s) in Germany, when pulling passenger equipment, is approximately 138 mph.
Service speed of class 101 is 125mph or 200kph, not more.

#176338  by Irish Chieftain

Beg to differ on only one point; the 101-class was intended to run at 220 km/h, but apparently some upgrades on the line between Köln and Hamburg have not been instituted (focus on ICE corridors as well as economic problems in Germany?), so the top speed is currently held down to 200 km/h (the speed that the old Class 103 ran at).
catch wrote:Is there really 12.5kV/60Hz still in use?
Only on Metro-North's New Haven Line, IIRC. Therefore, AEM-7s, HHP-8s and Acela Expresses operate under that voltage/frequency, as do Metro-North EMUs M2, M4 and M6.

#176345  by catch

Oops, sorry about the double replays.

Many thoughts now.
To the "problem" of the transformer: The size is given by the slowest AC system, in the US this is 25Hz. Everything above is inside the envelope of the iron core and the winding layout. The different voltages are taps of the secondary windings, nothîng else.

TRAXX only 87mph? TRAXX is dummy for every locomotive built or will bulit be the old ADtranz part of Bombardier. P is passenger, F is freight, the number the nominal service speed in kph, an AC, DC, MS or D the mode (D = diesel, MS = Multisystem (max 4)).
e.g. TRAXX F80 AC could be the swedish Kiruna Iore locomotives, and TRAXX P200AC a intercity loco for, perhaps German Rail, or TRAXX F140MS is the class 484 of the swiss railways

Succesful week

#176354  by Nasadowsk

The Coast line (60hz portions) was bumped entirely to 25kv a year ago or so, but was 12.5kv in places - the panel meters at Long Branch still have the 12.5kv scale, thus read 1/2 the true voltage. Any extension south of there will be 25kv also.

#176412  by nick11a

Nasadowsk wrote:The Coast line (60hz portions) was bumped entirely to 25kv a year ago or so, but was 12.5kv in places - the panel meters at Long Branch still have the 12.5kv scale, thus read 1/2 the true voltage. Any extension south of there will be 25kv also.
Voltage change on the coast line occured somewhere around summer of 2003 (I think it was a around August IIRC.)