Railroad Forums 

• Montrose PA interurban

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#200645  by SilasGore1

Looking for info on the interurban line that ran from around Scranton to Montrose, PA. I have a bit of info but would like to learn more!

Anything welcome!

Tim

#200729  by BaltOhio

The compaqny was originally called the Northern Electric Ry., incorporated in 1904 and finally opened as far as Dalton in 1907. It reached Factoryville in 1908, Nicholson in 1912, Foster and Brooklyn in 1915, and Montrose in 1916. In the meantime it underwent a couple of reorganizations, emerging asthe Scranton & Binghamton RR Co. in 1910. After yet another reorganization in 1918 it became the Scranton, Montrose & Binghamton RR Co. -- still apparently with grandiose plans. (All along the way, everyone still called it the "Northern Electric.")

The Depression brought cutbacks from Montrose to Nicolson, then to Factoryville. There was an abortive effort to switch to buses, but the PUC gave Frank Martz operating rights on the route, and the interurban ceased operations July 20, 1931.

Thomas F. Flanagan's book "Northern Electric Railway" was published by Ben Rohrbeck Traction Publications in 1980. It's obviously long out of print, but hopefully you can find a copy somewhere.
 #200754  by SilasGore1

BaltOhio,

Thanks for the info! I do have the book you mentioned, but I just wondered if there were any other sources of information floating around out there? Photos, etc... for instance.

I have followed the route from Nicholson to Montrose using Mapquest and other aerial services, pretty neat to still see almost all the route still intact after all these years!

I do know there was an area of the route to Binghamton that was dug in Vestal, NY, my hometown.

Tim

#201318  by JimBoylan

BaltOhio wrote:and the interurban ceased operations July 20, 1931.
At or after the end, the employees tried to run it as the "Dalton St. Rwy.", the name of one of the underliers, but the City of Scranton stopped them because they weren't able to pay for a paving bill.
The Electric City Trolley Museum & Station has some photos and information.

#201349  by CarterB