• Montreal-Springfield 1960

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Otto Vondrak

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 115368.jpg
The B&M train for Springfield and New York is ready to leave White River Jct. with Canadian National coaches since the train originated in Montreal. Also note the New Haven postal-baggage combine. In the background are B&M Budd RDC's from Boston which I will continue riding to the Canadian Pacific's Windsor Station in Montreal
See more great photos from Edward Ozog: http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order= ... y=NH746EJO
  by 3rdrail

Beautiful photos ! Mr. Ozog was fortunate to be born into that time period where there was so much classic equipment to be seen and photographed from two eras - one that was ending (steam) and the other that was starting up (diesel). I often wish that I had been in that group as the opportunities with traction, steam, diesel, rapid transit, and the bus industry were enormous.
  by davidp

What a great archive! Thanks for the link, and Mr. Ozog, if you're reading this, thanks for posting your pictures on line.

The train is the Ambassador, the CN-CV-B&M-NH daytime train from Montreal to Grand Central in New York. At various times in the late fifties the train was reduced to an RDC connection from Springfield to Montreal, but during the summer months it ran through. Looking at other pictures in Mr. Ozog's it appears the train ran with either CN or NH coaches. Power swapped at New Haven, Springfield, and WRJ. The north and southbound Ambassadors met at WRJ where B&M and CP RDCs provided connections to/from Boston, Berlin, NH and Montreal's Windsor Station via Newport, VT.
  by davidp

What line did the Ambassador's RPO operate - New York to St. Albans perhaps? Did the car continue into Canada, at least to transport baggage and express? I'm guessing US postal employees wouldn't have worked into Canada, but perhaps I'm wrong. From photos I've seen it appears both New Haven and CN baggage/RPOs worked this route - was this a regular rotation?

Thanks,
  by jbvb

The original lines to Canada were Springfield & Newport (VT) via the CPR and St. Albans & Boston via the CV. I don't have a later reference than "Mail by Rail", which was printed in 1951. I believe the RPO cars ran through, but may not have been staffed in Canada.
  by Eliphaz

Ive been using those pictures for modelling references. some great stuff there from my favorite era.
Except for the RDCs, there seem to be a general lack of pictures of B&M passenger cars and trains.
By contrast, the NYC is really well covered in several on-line archives. I'd sure like to find more B&M passenger train images from the 50s and 60s.
  by davidp

A good source of B&M passenger train pictures is Kevin Holland's book "Passenger Trains of Northern New England in the Streamline Era" from TCL Press.
  by e7401

Didn't the B&M crew run the Ambassador from Spfld Ma. to E.Northfield, where the CV crew took over. The B&M crew would layover for the south bound and take it to Spfld. In White River the CV switcher would take the power over to Westboro. I don't remember if this was a year round thing . Erv Jr
  by TomNelligan

e7401 wrote:Didn't the B&M crew run the Ambassador from Spfld Ma. to E.Northfield, where the CV crew took over.
Are you sure? The Conn River was a B&M/CV joint operation over mostly B&M-owned track, B&M freight crews ran Springfield-White River Juction, and I don't remember a crew change at East Northfield for the Ambassador when I rode it in the mid-60s.
  by e7401

TomNelligan wrote:
e7401 wrote:Didn't the B&M crew run the Ambassador from Spfld Ma. to E.Northfield, where the CV crew took over.
Are you sure? The Conn River was a B&M/CV joint operation over mostly B&M-owned track, B&M freight crews ran Springfield-White River Juction, and I don't remember a crew change at East Northfield for the Ambassador when I rode it in the mid-60s.
I may have had the wrong location. 712-717 changed at e. northfield and the Ambassador changed crews at brattleboro vt, 6 days aweek, with the B&M crew going all the way on Sundays. I will have to go back into the time books my father kept on his runs.This maybe the 50's and not the 60's that I'm thinking of.But we will check. Erv J ( It may have something to do with mileage, My brother seems to think)