• Montclair -JC rail line becomes bike trail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Maverickstation1

That would be one beyond complicated rail trail to put together.

You have (2) ancient movable bridges, WR & DB that were in barely usable condition when NJ Transit still used
the line.

I can only imagine the push back from Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Belleville and Kearny.

Given the investment needed on the line, I could see a Light Rail service being justified, not a rail trail.

Ken
  by Ken W2KB

Maverickstation1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:31 am That would be one beyond complicated rail trail to put together.

You have (2) ancient movable bridges, WR & DB that were in barely usable condition when NJ Transit still used
the line.
The bridge over the Passaic River has been in the fixed closed position for years as it has adequate vertical clearance for all marine traffic using the river in that location. It would simply have decking and railings installed for the trail. The Hackensack River bridge is not to be part of the trail. The trail is planned to be diverted south at the western end of the Hackensack River bridge, proceed south along the western riverbank to Route 7, and thence east over the new road bridge under construction to enter Jersey City. If, as is also proposed, the Bergen Arches former railroad right of way is converted to a trail it would connect with that trail continuing to the Hudson River.
  by Paul1705

Dcell wrote:https://jerseydigs.com/land-sale-could- ... montclair/
Maverickstation1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:31 am That would be one beyond complicated rail trail to put together.

the line.

I can only imagine the push back from Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Belleville and Kearny.

Given the investment needed on the line, I could see a Light Rail service being justified, not a rail trail.

Ken
Probably the only part that could justify light rail would be an extension of the Newark Light Rail to Montclair - maybe. Given the state of light rail in New Jersey, that seems a long way off. The HBLR extension to Tenafly - how long has that been on the table? For the main part of HBLR, which has been open for nearly two decades, there are twenty-minute midday headways on the branches (wasn't it originally fifteen minutes?). That's pretty mediocre for an urban rail service.

There already is rail service from Montclair to Hoboken via Newark Broad Street. That seems adequate for the moment.

As for a trail: I could see that working for Montclair to the Passaic River. If the bridge situation is resolved, then there could be an extension to about Schuyler Avenue. But all the way to Jersey City? Sure, there are always a few people who will walk and especially bike almost any distance. I'm not sure there would be enough of them to justify a trail that long.