Railroad Forums 

• Montclair Heights - closed before Erie merge?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#768885  by Roadgeek Adam

I want to clarify some research. Was the Montclair Heights Station closed before the merge of the Erie (and future elimination of the EL)? Yanosey's books said Montclair Heights was closed in 59 and the Manual Block Signal was extended from N. Fullerton Avenue to Great Notch. Is he correct or am I reading an error?
 #769386  by Tri-State Tom

Adam -

Which one of Bob's books ?

Vaguely recall that the old station building at Heights was torn down around this time. Possible that Heights was temporarily OOS until the site was cleared....just guessing.

Not technically savvy enough to understand/comment on the manual block signal stuff. Can only add that the Greenwood Lake branch - at least between Benson Street ( Glen Ridge ) and Upper Montclair - still had semaphores in 1959.

Sorry I couldn't be of better help....
 #769396  by Roadgeek Adam

Tri-State Tom wrote:Adam -

Which one of Bob's books ?

Vaguely recall that the old station building at Heights was torn down around this time. Possible that Heights was temporarily OOS until the site was cleared....just guessing.

Not technically savvy enough to understand/comment on the manual block signal stuff. Can only add that the Greenwood Lake branch - at least between Benson Street ( Glen Ridge ) and Upper Montclair - still had semaphores in 1959.

Sorry I couldn't be of better help....
Erie Railroad Facilities Volume 1: New Jersey. (Page 73):
Photographer Wallworth was its agent here on the last day it was open (November 20, 1959) and recorded the removal of its Manual Block Signal. It was being closed as an economy measure, which meant the block was being extended, North Fullerton Avenue to Great Notch.

One of my local friends writes for Morning Sun so I've read Yanosey's books.
 #791266  by Roadgeek Adam

Bobby S wrote:I am a bit confused. Isn't Montclair Heights a current station for NJT?
Yes, but the original station is long gone, and what I am making sure of is the Erie closed it supposedly in 1959.