Railroad Forums 

• Monster FPCH

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #732396  by rb

Just overtook what looked like a 70+ car PW train in the Bronx. About 25 LIRR hoppers, and the rest were Tilcon boxes. No GATX cars, so where are those coming from?
 #740494  by MNR's #1 Conductor

rb wrote:Just overtook what looked like a 70+ car PW train in the Bronx. About 25 LIRR hoppers, and the rest were Tilcon boxes. No GATX cars, so where are those coming from?
The full train originates at Fresh Pond Yard in Queens, operates to Cedar Hill Yard, New Haven CT (CSX) & Wallingford, CT. I am not sure if it is still in business, but I last heard the biggest receiver of these aggregate loads and stone loads other than the LIRR is a company called Prima Asphalt in Holtsville, LI. Not often do you see such a long eastbound empty train, most times it is a short consist no more than 30 or 40 cars, with sometimes FPCH being nothing more than light engines with no loads. Often I would see it passing by Stamford Yard, or depending on when I am working, I will pass it along the line.
 #833461  by MNR's #1 Conductor

rb wrote:Just overtook what looked like a 70+ car PW train in the Bronx. About 25 LIRR hoppers, and the rest were Tilcon boxes. No GATX cars, so where are those coming from?
Here is a link to my photo posting I made on the CSX forum, showing FPCH passing Stamford Yard, as little ol' me got lucky after my local came in on Track 10 "Hill" in Stamford Yard alongside the Main Line!!
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... &start=465
 #833580  by DutchRailnut

The stone trains have no CSX involvement other than traveling thru oak point to get on Hellgate freight track.
the train heads to Cedar hill Yd and then up to the Tilcon quary at Branford (rare) or the one near Durham Ct. for loading.
 #833693  by BobLI

Did you notice the B unit (no cab), 2nd locomotive in the pics?
 #833926  by DutchRailnut

P&W has a few of those B units.