Railroad Forums 

• Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#56103  by Guest

Whereabouts does the M,A&N operate? Do they by any chance handle wood chips? There are a couple cars of theirs on the P&BR at the ISG steel plant in Baltimore, cars that might be described as "hi-cube" gondolas or hoppers. (I don't recall if they had hopper bottoms or not.) I'm thinking they carried inbound scrap steel to ISG here.

#56456  by Legio X

What locomotives does the MAN operate?

#56460  by metman499

The MA&N operates former NYC trackage in the Adirondack region of NY. They operate C-425s and an M-420. Traffic is down on the line and two or three MA&N locomotives have been in Scranton at any given time for more than a year. They are part of the GVT system so any other GVT power may operate there aswell.

#56617  by charlie6017

I believe MA&N operates Utica to Lyons Falls and Lowville to Carthage and perhaps points east of there. Last time I was in Utica, I saw them pulling cars loaded with logs into there, but no wood chips.

#56861  by O-6-O

They handle olive oil and scrap steel in Utica. Light poles from Boonvile
and they have trackage rights on CSX main to Rome to take coiled
steel to Rome Strip Steel and still some traffic to Revere. I think there
is a team track that see's some traffic also.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-
 #57026  by Guest

Okay, those cars I saw must have carried scrap steel here (Baltimore) to the steel mill. Thanks all.
 #98371  by Matt Langworthy

MA&N also handles operations the Lowville & Beaver RR. This is just conjecture but one of the clients is a paperboard company so it might receive wood chips. (My only trip to Lowville was in 1991 and I took no pics.) Unlike most other GVT operations, the normal motive power on L&BR is a trio of GE 44-tonners, although Alco Centuries have operated on the line on occasion.