Railroad Forums 

• Model RR passes

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1383906  by BobLI

I remember seeing Model RR passes to visiting operators but that was a few years ago. Is the practice of issuing passes stioo going on and do some of our readers have examples of their passes to show here? The only ones I can remember were from some early famous operators( Wescott, Kalmbach, Allen,Towers).
 #1384071  by CNJ999

Indeed, Bob, based on what I saw in the pages of Model Railroader magazine back in the day pass exchange was a fairly popular aspect among many hobbyists back around the 1950's and 60's, some even going so far as to advertise in the back pages of MR offering to exchange passes. I believe that Al Kalmbach himself may have instituted the practice given his own printing ability. Pass exchange, of course, followed the century-old lead of real railroads in issuing rider passes to important individuals, particularly those from other railroads. Every once in a while one still sees an original Al Kalmbach pass pop up on eBay, ultimately selling for a high price.

However, the practice apparently has steadily declined with the years in spite of the modern ease and small expense with which such passes can be produced. I believe that, at least until fairly recently, the NMRA had a small Special Interest Group (SIG) membership that still was keeping the practice alive. However, I haven't been an NMRA member in probably about ten years now so I can not accurately speak to that SIG's current status. Personally, I've never participated in the practice. I do note that Googling "model railroad passes" does bring up a number of sites with information and offers to print specialty pass cards. One example is: http://www.northriverrailway.net/PassTrade2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CNJ999