Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#213604  by metrony

Is there any chance in the future maybe 10 years 15 years 20 years Metro-North will make the rest of the Hudson Line electric right up to Pougkeepise?

Why is the Harlem electric straight up to Southeast? Which is around 53 miles from GCT, while electric lines end on the Hudson line at around 33 miles from GCT.

I though it was probably because of the colder weather, but Southeast does get it's share of snowy and cold weather.

#213616  by DutchRailnut

for a while electrification to Peekskil was contemplated but with no place for a yard the cost of deadheading trains up there for service did not outweigh the benefits.
there is no plans to expand the current electrification, since diesels are comparible in cost to operate but the cost of applying third rail at 3 Million per mile is not somehing that will benefit the public or MTA.
Plus would you like to sit in a M7 for longer than 33 miles ??

#213634  by M&Eman

With the amount of service POK gets, I think it really is worth electrification once dual modes are finally proved to be the junk they are.

#213646  by Nasadowsk

The GE units on MN tend to do a heck of a lot better than the LIRR's junk. I wouldn't call either of them reliable, though...

The big killer on long distance electrification with 3rd rail is substations. It'd be MUCH better to go dual system like New Haven and use 12kv or 25kv overhead. But in that case, it'd make sense to go north to Albany and wrap the Empire Corridor into it (it'd be useful above Pok on the 110 stretches, and ultimately cheaper).

Have fun getting it past the NIMBYs, though, or convincing Albany that it's worth it...

#213653  by DutchRailnut

While humming to tune of Dream on little buddy,you will never see catenary on hudson.
Yes Phil the Ge's are realy un-reliable, I have broken down twice since 1996 were I needed to get towed, and I operate multiple diesel trains 5 days per week.
all other times my train has been on time or delayed by other than equipment problems.

#213666  by Noel Weaver

Right now electrification on the Hudson to PO is not really needed and
would be extremely expensive. Historically, the Harlem has always been
a heavier commuter route than the Hudson and that is why the upper
Harlem to Brewster got the third rail.
Doing an AC electrification and the complications of DM equipment would
be ridiculous and I doubt that it will ever happen, I sure hope not.
That fact that Dutch says he has only been towed twice since 1996 I think
says something for the present diesel equipment.
Noel Weaver

#213686  by njtmnrrbuff

I think a third track should be added for expanded diesel service wherever you can. Not only will it benefit MN but Amtrak trains improve , especially if there is high speed service on the Empire Corridor.

#213744  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Jaap, I hope you were being facetious when you said the GE's are unreliable. 2 Break downs in 10 years; that's phenominal.

#213756  by DutchRailnut

Yes my responce was to Mr Nasadowski's statement, I believe the Genesis has been one of better locomotives ever bought.
They still work in both modes, and despite the start up problems when they first arrived, they perform extreemly well.
As I have stated before most of the startup problems, was the linkage between seat and controller, yes, most engineers were scared of the computer technologie and were scared to reset anything.
some of this was to blame on railroad, were after buying a 4.2 million $$ locomotive the engineers got a $0.50 tour and were deemed qualified.

#213765  by M&Eman

Noel Weaver wrote:Right now electrification on the Hudson to PO is not really needed and
would be extremely expensive. Historically, the Harlem has always been
a heavier commuter route than the Hudson and that is why the upper
Harlem to Brewster got the third rail.
Doing an AC electrification and the complications of DM equipment would
be ridiculous and I doubt that it will ever happen, I sure hope not.
That fact that Dutch says he has only been towed twice since 1996 I think
says something for the present diesel equipment.
Noel Weaver
The M6 is a heck of a lot more reliable than the Genesis though.

#214005  by Tadman

There's been a lot of comments to the effect of Gennies being less suitable for commuter service and the associated stop/go cycle than an EMD/MotivePower unit. Any comments from those who work daily on either brand of locomotive? I have no opinion, this is what I hear on a scuttlebut level of confirmation...

#214013  by DutchRailnut

A P32acdm accelerates at same rate as two FL-9's. For what it lacks at low speed it gains when going over 15 mph and turbo kicks in.
MNCR is still using same scheduled time for Genesis as it used before when two FL-9's were used.
Add to that that a genesis can come into a station at almost double the speed of a FL-9 train.
I am a little disapointed in acceleration of the P40's its way lower starting than the MNCR gennies with the AC traction.

#214036  by Noel Weaver

The M6 is a heck of a lot more reliable than the Genesis though.[/quote]

Dutch can probably answer this better than I can but this does not sound
reasonable to me
Noel Weaver

#214039  by DutchRailnut

The M6 is not as reliable as you think ;-) today the entire New Haven mainline was run with Genesis and coaches.
only Amtrack ran electric.
In Snowfall all New Haven cars tend to have trouble with pantographs and switching to DC mode.