Railroad Forums 

• MnDOT: Willmar rail connector project making progress (Progressive Railroading)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1544732  by Jeff Smith

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ess--60598
Construction is advancing on a rail connector and industrial access project involving BNSF Railway Co. in Willmar, the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) reported this week.

Known as Willmar Wye, the project is a public-private partnership between BNSF, MnDOT, Kandiyohi County and the city of Willmar to build a new rail line bypass on the city's west side.

The project includes the realignment of Highway 12 and the reconstruction of Highway 40, including two new bridges. It will create a direct connection for BNSF traffic between two existing main track subdivisions, the Morris subdivision and the Marshall subdivision.
 #1546120  by mtuandrew

Huh. This is one of those “I could have SWORN there was a wye” moments for me! Cool project - and the lack of trains changing ends downtown will be very appreciated by the Willmar citizenry.
 #1546125  by dgvrengineer

There is or was a wye near downtown Willmar. I rode a passenger special back in the 80's from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis. I remember we stopped in Willmar for crew change, but the steam loco was not run around or ever disconnected from the train. I think this project is to build a bypass to avoid blocking downtown streets.
 #1546138  by mtuandrew

dgvrengineer wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm There is or was a wye near downtown Willmar. I rode a passenger special back in the 80's from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis. I remember we stopped in Willmar for crew change, but the steam loco was not run around or ever disconnected from the train. I think this project is to build a bypass to avoid blocking downtown streets.
That was why I thought there was a wye also - I took an excursion from Minneapolis to Willmar and return behind the MILW 261, and could have sworn they turned the entire trainset. Sioux Falls to Minneapolis doesn’t seem like it would need a turn though? It would be a straight-ahead move.