Railroad Forums 

• Mix-or-match with 0700 units?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #917067  by Allen Hazen

I have an awful feeling that the real New Haven experts will be disgusdted at the stupidity of this question, but...
The New Haven had three types of big passenger diesel: the Dl-109, the PA, and the F-M CPA-24. These units were often used in multiple: I think up to three units on the heaviest passenger trains, but since the new Haven thought of at least some as dual-service types, perhaps more on Maybrook freights. Were lashups always of one model, or were units of different types sometimes m.u.-ed?

(I know that inter-model m.u. was common with later roadswitcher types: I think I have seen a photo of a 1200, a 1400 and a 1600 on the same train, and mixtures of 2500 and 2550 were common. With the earlier 0700 units, the three types had very different electrical gear: I would bet they had different short-time ratings which an engineer of a mixed lash-up would have had to remember about.)
 #917427  by Noel Weaver

I guess it would have been possible to MU the 0760 class to the un-rebuilt 0400's provided the 0760 was the trailing unit(s). They could not have been used as a lead unit with any freight locomotive because they had no transition lever and the New Haven did not have automatic transition in the freight locomotives until the stuff came in the mid 50's (1400, 1600 and 1200 class in this particular case).
Of course the engines were coupled at various times for in tow transit or for shop moves but I have never heard of any attempt to MU the passenger engines with freight engines. In addition passenger engines were MU'd with other passenger engines and used on freight trains from time to time too.
Hope this answers your question on this one.
Noel Weaver
 #917560  by Allen Hazen

Noel Weaver--
I think it answers my question, but just to be be perfectly clear... When you say
"passenger engines were MU'd with other passenger engines and used on freight trains from time to time too,"
that includes, for example, a 700 MU'd with a 760 (or either a 700 or a 760 with a 790)?
--
If you MU'd a 760 with an unrebuilt 400, as you suggest could have been possible, you wouldn't want to use the combo on a drag freight: the 760 surely had a much higher continuous speed (same traction motors, higher horsepower, higher-speed gear ratio), but in times of power shortage I suppose... Do you know if this combination was actually used, or are you just remarking on a theoretical possibility?

(And thanks for your response!)
 #917579  by Allen Hazen

Perhaps, before pestering the board, I should have done my homework...
Anyway, a couple of photos:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1172426
shows a CPA-24 coupled to a PA. It's in a yard, so MAYBE one was just towing the other dead, but it seems likely that they were about to be dispatched as a pair.

Change the number at the end to 1202295 and you get a PA (leading) and a Dl-109 on a passenger train.
 #917809  by Statkowski

DL-109 with DL-109 = Yes
DL-109 with CPA-24-5 = Yes
DL-109 with PA-1 = Possible
CPA-24-5 with CPA-24-5 = Yes
CPA-24-5 with PA-1 = Possible
PA-1 with PA-1 = Yes
 #918086  by Noel Weaver

Statkowski wrote:DL-109 with DL-109 = Yes
DL-109 with CPA-24-5 = Yes
DL-109 with PA-1 = Possible
CPA-24-5 with CPA-24-5 = Yes
CPA-24-5 with PA-1 = Possible
PA-1 with PA-1 = Yes
All of the above are YES. Frequently as well in all cases.
Noel Weaver
 #918098  by Allen Hazen

My original question has been answered, fully and comprehensively! Thank you!

(I dimly recall reading, long ago, that F-M used different M-U connections from Alco-- different number of pins, this having been in the days before multi-model M-U lashups were common practice. But in order to make a C-liner sale to the New Haven -- surely a coup, given the New Haven's reputation as an Alco loyalist! -- I'm sure they would have been happy to abandon their usual standards to the extent of fitting Dl-109/PA compatible M-U connections!)