Railroad Forums 

• Missing Railfan in Lawrenceville, GA

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#335098  by AMTK84

The below message is posted from another forum. Given that I could not find a Georgia railfan forum I figured this was about as good as any place. If the moderators find a better place for this then please by all means move this post.

We received this request through our support email this evening. I want to pass it along in case anyone has any information. Sue's email address is
[email protected]
. Although this is near Atlanta I want to pass this along to everyone.

Here is a copy of the police bulletin:
http://www.trainorders.com/missing-person.pdf

----------------------------------------------------
My uncle, Barry Helling, is an avid railroad fan and a member of your site. Last Saturday, 12/9/06 he went out railroading and we have not seen him since.
He railroads in the Lawrenceville area, around the CSX tracks and the Norcross area. His appearance is being considered a possible homicide. We need help
trying to find either him or his car. He drove a 2001 Gold Jeep Cherokee, license plate WD700D, wildlife plate. He is 61 years old, white hair and close
beard. WE NEED HELP. Possible dark color Silverado truck seen with his possessions in the Birmingham area also. Police has not searched areas specifically.
Please have anyone finding anything contact me or the Gwynette County Homicide Department ASAP.

Thank you,
Sue Kampe

----------------------------------------------------
I also received this from Gwinnett County Police Department:

One of your fellow train enthusiasts has gone missing under suspicious circumstances. Barry Helling, age 61, has not been seen since 12/09/06. He lives
in the Atlanta area and drives a gold Jeep Cherokee with tag # WD700D. If anyone has seen Mr. Helling or heard from him please call 770-513-5100 (Gwinnett
County Police Dept) Mr. Helling is known for his white beard and Santa like appearence. He is also known as the "Silver fox" to some conductors on the
CSX Line that runs through northeast Atlanta.

Thank You
Detective Brian Ray

Here is the police bulletin:

The Gwinnett County Police Department is currently investigating the disappearance of 61-year-old Barry Alan Helling of Snellville. Helling was last seen
at his residence the morning of Saturday 12/09/06.

Investigative leads have taken this case to Birmingham Alabama, with activity beginning at Northlake to Fulton Industrial, and then to a Wall Mart at Villa
Rica. Investigators have obtained a photograph at the Villa Rica Wall Mart of an unknown male that is related to Helling’s disappearance. This person was
seen driving a newer model single cab Chevrolet Silverado that is dark in color. Foul play is suspected.

Mr. Helling’s vehicle a gold 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ga Wildlife Tag WD 700D is also missing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Gwinnett County Police Department at 770-513-5300.

---------------------------------------------------------
If you can cross post this to other discussion forums at other railfan discussion sites Sue would be appreciative. I believe this is legitiment as Barry
(pequotjunction) logs in at least every other day. His last login was on December 9th.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

#335929  by Otto Vondrak

I have confirmed with an independent source in law enforcement that this is indeed a legitimate open investigation into possible foul play.

All inquiries should be directed to the contacts listed above.

-otto-

#350417  by Otto Vondrak

This story has a tragic ending. Helling's body was discovered in Birmingham, the victim of an apparent homicide.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared ... 26657.html

-otto-