Railroad Forums 

• Miniature R.R. in Nashua, NH. 1960's

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#876373  by MaineCoonCat

Anyone else remember (or have info on) an operation known as "Abdallah Amusement Park" back in the 1960's They were located off the D.W. highway behind the Tyngsboro Drive-in (where the Mall is now.). They had an impressive (to a young teen) live steam locomotive and a fairly decent run of track through the fields and woods. Operation never seemed to catch on though and it only lasted a few years. Seemed to be a two or three person operation.

My apologies if I posted this in the wrong discussion.
 #1317799  by MaineCoonCat

Well I did finally find a possible pointer to a corporate entity.. http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/CorpWeb/Cor ... RCH_TYPE=1
 #1317862  by GP40MC1118

I took the liberty of forwarding your post to a friend. Here's his answer:

Pop took us up there to ride it several times. The line was 15" gauge and the engine was a 4-4-2.
Just before it closed they got a diesel, looked like either an F-unit or an E-unit, I can't remember which.

D
 #1317871  by MaineCoonCat

GP40MC1118 wrote:I took the liberty of forwarding your post to a friend. Here's his answer:

Pop took us up there to ride it several times. The line was 15" gauge and the engine was a 4-4-2.
Just before it closed they got a diesel, looked like either an F-unit or an E-unit, I can't remember which.

D
Yes, I vaguely remember the diesel. I can still close my eyes and picture the ride through a section of pine grove on the southeast side of the property. among others. Thanks for looking into it.
Our visits usually included lunch at the A&W just a little ways further up Route 3 (now 3A) in Nashua.

I'm going to contact the Tyngsboro Historical Commission and see what, if anything they might have on this..
 #1318156  by trainsinmaine

Wow! What a neat photo. Curiously, I was brought up only about forty miles from Tyngsborough, and while I well remember the miniature trains at Benson's Wild Animal Farm in Hudson and Whalom Park in Fitchburg, I have never heard of this place. How well was it promoted?
 #1318172  by BandA

trainsinmaine wrote:Wow! What a neat photo. Curiously, I was brought up only about forty miles from Tyngsborough, and while I well remember the miniature trains at Benson's Wild Animal Farm in Hudson and Whalom Park in Fitchburg, I have never heard of this place. How well was it promoted?
[OT] Whalom Park was in Lunenburg.
 #1318914  by Pat Fahey

(53.28 KiB) Downloaded 3697 times
(47.49 KiB) Downloaded 3697 times
Hi
Sense my last post the engine that I did show , WAS NOT ,,, the engine that ran at the park . The new photo's does show an Atlantic type locomotive same track gauge and scale . But the locomotive was built by a different builder . The location is at Abdallah Amusement Park in Tyngsboro, Mass just after the park opened .
 #1318931  by MaineCoonCat

Pat Fahey wrote:
1-TYngsboro 8-17-61.JPG
1-Tyngsboro 8-17-062.JPG
Hi
Sense my last post the engine that I did show , WAS NOT ,,, the engine that ran at the park . The new photo's does show an Atlantic type locomotive same track gauge and scale . But the locomotive was built by a different builder . The location is at Abdallah Amusement Park in Tyngsboro, Mass just after the park opened .
That top photo made me say
OH - MY - GOD!!
EXCELLENT! Thank you for posting that!Image

Instant MEGAflashback... WOW! IIRC, that's looking from the upper part of the area toward the river and the [now] PAR ROW with the train headed in the direction of Middlesex Road.. Any chance of a larger image?