Railroad Forums 

• Milwaukee Road reefer

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#527197  by 2nd trick op

The green paint leads me to believe that this car was likely downgraded from the general-service fleet and assigned to the Maintenance of Way Department for storage purposes. A reefer would provide more protection from extremes of weather, and might be easier to secure as well.

#537973  by atlpete

Eye candy indeed, if I remember this correctly from the Milw Color Guide Vol 1, (Morning Sun) this color is supposed to be blue, and I believe signified the car had been re-assigned from revenue to company service as an Ice Supply car to provide ice for older passenger equipment and express pershiables at intermediate service points primarily along the Pacific Extension.