Railroad Forums 

• Military Locos on PVRR

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#97609  by Trackmobile

I recently saw some pictures of US Army locos on the Pioneer Valley Railroad.The pictures just show the engines sitting there at the PVRR`s yard.Were the engines sold to PVRR?

#98496  by usa4624

USA 4601 and 4602 still belong to the United States Army, and are used by the 1205th and 226th Transportation Railway Operating Batallions during training exercises.

Army Reservists typically work 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer, except during war time, so the 2 GP10s do not see much use.

#99005  by Trackmobile

Is that where they normally keep them,in PVRR`s Westfield yard?I`m guessing that the base has it`s own trackage in the military installation.
 #100595  by RailVet

Some clarity on USAR rail units in the Northeast. The 1205th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion, headquartered in Middletown, CT, is the parent unit of the 226th Transportation Company (Railway), headquartered at Westover Air Reserve Base, MA, just east of Springfield. (Note: The 226th is a company, not a battalion.) The 1205th is rather small for a battalion, with only about 50 personnel slots authorized, although actual manning is somewhat higher due to the common practice of double-slotting (i.e., assigning to two people to one slot on the unit's books). For years the mission of the 1205th has been to augment civilian Army employees at Military Ocean Terminal, Sunny Point, NC, located about 25 miles south of Wilmington, NC. Rail personnel in the unit are primarily rail operations and track maintenance troops. In recent years it has also supported rail operations on other posts. The much-larger 226th is an entirely different kind of unit. It is organized, equipped and manned much differently since it is an overseas-deployable company. If mobilized, it would be assigned to the 757th Transportation Battalion (Railway) headquartered in Milwaukee, WI, the last overseas-deployable rail battalion. The 226th's assignment to the 1205th is for peacetime administrative and training purposes only. The two locomotives on the PVRR are assigned to the 1205th and used in training by personnel of both the 1205th and 226th. There is no good reason to have the locomotives based on the other side of town at Westover ARB since the connecting carrier embargoed the line some time ago, there are no rail cars on the base with which to train, no track maintenance has been performed for eons, and the long-unused track is scheduled to be pulled up in the not-too-distant future. In the future, it's quite possible the 1205th will be inactivated as part of a USAR-wide reorganization to inactivate non-deploying units and contract-out their functions, and if that comes to pass the 226th will probably be directly assigned to the 757th.

#110626  by Trackmobile

Does the PVRR ever use them on occasion or are they strickly for military use and military use only ?
 #124571  by RailVet

As far as I know, the Army locomotives on the PVRR are only used by the reservists. If the PVRR used them, it would get into a touchy area of a private company using government property for a for-profit enterprise, to say nothing of insurance and liability issues.
 #134033  by RailVet

The two Army locomotives on the PVRR are indeed used by the railroad in order to exercise them (i.e., run them at speeds higher than yard speed) and ensure they remain mission capable, in accordance with the contract between the railroad and the Army. The PVRR only uses them periodically, preferring to use their own motive power over the USA locomotives.