Railroad Forums 

• Military leave -- engine service bid?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#475061  by Arizonabay

Foreword: This is a question that should, and has, been posed to my local chairman. Unfortunately, it being vacation bid season, he has his hands full and hasn't returned my messages as of yet. Regardless, my situation is not common and falls vaguely under federal military labor regs as well, so all informed opinions and advice are welcome.

In January, I'm going on military leave for nearly two years. I've already informed my supervisor and UP labor relations of my pending military service, so I have that covered. What I'm worried about, however, is that I am 2 or 3 engine service classes away from getting a fireman bid.

Does anyone have or know anyone that has had experience with something similar? Would I be able to at least get an engine service seniority date while I am on military leave and then start firing when I return? Or am I going to have to wait until I get back to have my bid accepted?

#475409  by SanAntoniostang

Your screwed. All fireman classes are senority based and you have to be at work and working in order to bid on them and take the class and the only way to get an engineer senority date is to sucessfully complete the fireman training. The railroad is not required to hold a promotion for you while you are gone. By law they are only required to keep your job open until you get back. Your job is being a conductor and they will have that position for you when you get back.

#475413  by Nukengineer

I would suggest you look up USERRA in any search engine. That is the name of the federal law that governs reservists and other people entering military service and what is required of them and their civilian employers upon release from the military. I am not sure exactly what all you are entitled to beyond your job being available upon your return (seniority wise), but the US department of labor has alot of info on the law.

#475729  by UPRR engineer

If your 2 or 3 classes away i wouldn't worry about it. Even if you do end up having a couple guys run around you.

#476220  by radiotalent

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can do about it...so I wouldn't worry too much about what happens when you get back. Just stay safe while you're gone and appreciate that they're doing a lot for you while you are gone (it's my understanding that the UP makes up any difference between your military and railroad pay).

When you get back, you'll have a better idea of the railroad landscape and at worst, you'll be about 18 months behind in engine seniority. Yeah, that would suck in most cases, but you'll still be two years closer to a good railroad retirement. Enjoy the positives and don't worry too much about the negatives since there is not much you can do. Of course talk to your local chairman but I think you'll be perpetually first out for engine service until you return, and day one of class is when you get your engineer seniority. Then again, I could be wrong.

#476352  by marcusj3000

Since I know a person that got injured before eng servicce school and went later than his class they gave him back his engine senority that he would have had if he wasn't injured and could have made it to school ontime. So the same would happen with USERRA you would attend the next available eng service class then they would have to back date your senority, otherwise it is a USERRA breach and you could push the issue with the union and your lawyer.

#476357  by qboy

Its one thing to get awarded the engineer service bid since his senority allowed it. Injured or leave of absence. This guy say's he is still 2 or 3 classes with his senority from getting the bid thats different. Hey anything is possible but it may be a long shot.

#476388  by marcusj3000

yeah 2 to 3 classes down you might be out of luck and just have to suck it up as one of the prices for military service.

#481958  by Burner

This just happened to a guy where i work.

From what i was told when you come back you have to bid the FIRST class to regain your seniority. If you let even one class go by you forfeit all of it

#482701  by freshmeat

I wold closely look at the following two web sites.

http://www.dol.gov/vets/

and

http://www.osc.gov/userra.htm

Also, the poster that is associated with the first page is interesting. It says

"If you are eligible to be reemployed, you must be restored to the job and
benefits you would have attained if you had not been absent due to
military service or, in some cases, a comparable job."

I would make sure that UP knows of your desire to go to engine service. I would send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to your crew manager. You may not be able to get back seniority when you return, but it may make them stop and think. UP, like BNSF, beats their chest about their vet./reservist friendly policies.