Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #118490  by depotsquare

Yesterday, while riding the Loveland bike trail, we stopped to explore the Middletown Junction site which was where the Middletown & Cincinnati interchanged with the Little Miami Railroad (between Kings Mills and South Lebanon), both later part of the Pennsy. The site had numerous foundations, low concrete footers, stand pipes, etc. from the ruins of old structures. Does anyone know what actually existed at this site (probably a station and freight house at one time)? The large Peters Cartridge works was south at Kings Mills. The north leg of the wye has been reconstructed as part of a new 8-mile bike trail that will use the old 365' twin span M&C bridge to cross the Little Miami River.

#122536  by Alloy

I'm glad to hear they're going to make use of the old M&C bridge that's there. I hiked in from the other side of the Little Miami about 14 years ago, and got some pictures of it (now lost.) There were large pipes routed across the bridge, so it appeared that it was being used.

I found it hard to see any trace of the wye when I was on the bike trail itself. If I ride it, I start in Morrow, and I like seeing the old station there, where the Cincinnati & Muskingham joined the Little Miami. There are still old PRR crossbucks at one of the crossings, and a signal mast.
 #122539  by depotsquare

You will be pleased to know the PRR station at Morrow is still in fine shape. There are a few small businesses trying to make a go nearby. We have biked the old Pennsy line from Milford as far as South Lebanon. The old freight station still stands in South Lebanon although it has been moved away from the former tracks by about 50 feet.

The PRR signal mast you spoke of at the junction is gone. However two masts exist: one still actually stands just north of Miamiville, the other is lying on the ground closer to Milford (I think).

A new roadway has been laid over the M&C bridge at the junction which is where the new 8.2-mile trail will start. I gather only a mile or so of the old M&C roadbed will be used before the trail branches off toward Lebanon.