Railroad Forums 

• Middletown & New Jersey Railroad: News, Operations, Updates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#855764  by pumpers

njmidland wrote:The NYS&W owns the track that connects the L&HR to the Erie - East Hall. They built this in the late 1980's to avoid going into Maybrook and doing a runaround move.
I think NS (or Conrail?) owns the old LHR from the Erie down to down around Warwick where the NYSW ownership starts ("Pelton Rd" comes to mind but I don't see it on a map). Anyway, are you saying NYSW owns the connecting track of 1000 feet or so between the old ERie and LHR, and NS owns the lines on both ends of it? JS
 #855798  by Marty Feldner

That's exactly what he's saying. The NYS&W built the connector, and owns it; NS owns the trackage at both ends.

(The new switch on the former Graham Line is called HJ, for Hudson Junction; to me, it's 'new' HJ; the real Hudson Junction was on the L&HR between East Chester and Greycourt, where the original Warwick Valley RR line branched off from the Orange County RR to Maybrook- both components of the L&HR.)

And you won't find Pelton Road on any map newer than about 1971; since then it's been the Orange County Route 1 crossing, at the south end of the former Warwick yards.
 #855846  by pumpers

I don't think the Maybrook connection exists anymore, so now NS has to use the NYSW connector to get to its own LHR trackage? js
 #855847  by pumpers

Marty Feldner wrote:
(The new switch on the former Graham Line is called HJ, for Hudson Junction; to me, it's 'new' HJ; the real Hudson Junction was on the L&HR between East Chester and Greycourt, where the original Warwick Valley RR line branched off from the Orange County RR to Maybrook- both components of the L&HR.)
I notice near Chester there is a short stub that comes of the LHR mainline that loops back under the mainline and then ends parallel to the old Erie main, with what looks like a few cars at the end of it on google satellite view maps. Is this junction of the stub with the LHR main the old HR? What is this stub used for? JS
 #855869  by L&HR C&S

>3 positions are being eliminated in CH, but those people are still going to work for NS in positions near Campbell Hall. I >guess, take that for what it's worth...

The nearest position that the signal maintainer can go to is Binghamton,NY. I guess M&NJ & NS consider this 'near by'
There are trackmen that will also lose their work that M&NJ does not mention.
 #859396  by jaystreetcrr

I was upstate on an apple picking family outing yesterday and while we were south of Middletown in the village of Slate Hill I noticed tracks filled with covered hoppers which I assumed were being stored there. When I got home I looked at some maps and I'm guessing this was the Middletown and New Jersey. What's the history of this line and is it still functioning. I'm assuming it's just being used for storage as it was single track.
 #860871  by chuxter26

H08 signs up at Suffern starting Monday....If the 5615 doesn't make it out of Campbell Hall this weekend the crew may have to taxi up to get it.
 #864462  by JBlaisdell

Was by the M&NJ station today, half a dozen new switchstands and quite a few lengths of rail in the parking area. Looks like some trackwork will be going on, maybe actually adding some sidings or spurs? Also workers moving some of the rail stuff, but did not have a chance to stop and investigate.