Railroad Forums 

• Middletown & New Jersey Railroad: News, Operations, Updates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1493653  by SecaucusJunction

DogBert wrote:What ever happened with that propane distro where the tanker cars were supposed to come from NYSW? It was the talk of this thread a ways back...
NS is delivering them. I saw about 30 of them on H70 last night.
 #1493796  by bk77

pumpers wrote:
bk77 wrote:One big plus with all this is I imagine MNJ will now be able to bring CSX/NYSW traffic to Middletown portion customers when they were not able to before, creating opporitunity for more business on that end. ...
In the earlier linked document, which I don't have in front of me, I recall reading a sentence like "traffic not being interchanged with NS will be subject to a surcharge (presumably to be paid to NS)", IIRC. I don't remember if that applied to all MNJ traffic to/from territory that was formerly handled by NS, or just some piece of it.

So my point is there might not be CSX/NYSW interchange for Middletown, depending on the surcharge.
JS

I've always understood that NS does have a stipulation on trackage that they lease to another railroad over current NS customers (at the time of the lease) getting rail shipments from other-than NS interchange. As you stated, there is a paragraph (H) in this agreement that mentions a surcharge, and part (iii) lists Probuild and Fairbanks Manufacturing getting notified on this change of service... both of which I believe are located on the Crawford Industrial. I wouldn't think such a surcharge would apply to MNJ/Middletown customers that NS has never served... but I could be wrong.

This brings up something else I find interesting..... seeing those 2 industries listed in this agreement, it mentions nothing about the customers in the "expanded trackage rights" section (the Metro-North section between CH and Port Jervis), unless I skipped over something. I'm pretty sure there are a few customers on this section around Middletown Station. So I'm wondering... does this mean NS will continue to serve those customers between CH and PJ, and that this section gives MNJ nothing more than just trackage rights to access Campbell Hall from Middletown? Even if that were the case I'd say it's still a nice expansion for the M&NJ.
 #1493983  by mainline

SecaucusJunction wrote:
DogBert wrote:What ever happened with that propane distro where the tanker cars were supposed to come from NYSW? It was the talk of this thread a ways back...
NS is delivering them. I saw about 30 of them on H70 last night.
bk77 wrote:
pumpers wrote:
bk77 wrote:One big plus with all this is I imagine MNJ will now be able to bring CSX/NYSW traffic to Middletown portion customers when they were not able to before, creating opporitunity for more business on that end. ...
In the earlier linked document, which I don't have in front of me, I recall reading a sentence like "traffic not being interchanged with NS will be subject to a surcharge (presumably to be paid to NS)", IIRC. I don't remember if that applied to all MNJ traffic to/from territory that was formerly handled by NS, or just some piece of it.

So my point is there might not be CSX/NYSW interchange for Middletown, depending on the surcharge.
JS

I've always understood that NS does have a stipulation on trackage that they lease to another railroad over current NS customers (at the time of the lease) getting rail shipments from other-than NS interchange. As you stated, there is a paragraph (H) in this agreement that mentions a surcharge, and part (iii) lists Probuild and Fairbanks Manufacturing getting notified on this change of service... both of which I believe are located on the Crawford Industrial. I wouldn't think such a surcharge would apply to MNJ/Middletown customers that NS has never served... but I could be wrong.

This brings up something else I find interesting..... seeing those 2 industries listed in this agreement, it mentions nothing about the customers in the "expanded trackage rights" section (the Metro-North section between CH and Port Jervis), unless I skipped over something. I'm pretty sure there are a few customers on this section around Middletown Station. So I'm wondering... does this mean NS will continue to serve those customers between CH and PJ, and that this section gives MNJ nothing more than just trackage rights to access Campbell Hall from Middletown? Even if that were the case I'd say it's still a nice expansion for the M&NJ.
bk77 wrote:
pumpers wrote:

JS

NS crew was At Presidents Container On December 10. This location is north of Campbell Hall and switched off the main. Not sure if was just scheduled before STB filing.

Bill
 #1495017  by Jeff Smith

https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 246831.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a nice map in here, if anyone can copy and paste it out of the PDF.
Middletown & New Jersey Railroad, LLC ("M&NJ"), a Class III rail carrier, files this Notice of Exemption pursuant to 49 C.F.R. Part 1150, Subpart E--Exempt Transactions Under 49 U.S.C. 10902, to permit M&NJ to lease from Norfolk Southern Railway Company ("NS") and operate approximately 1.9 miles of rail line located between Four Story Junction at Milepost UJ O and Middletown, NY at Milepost UJ 1.9, known as the Crawford Industrial Track (the "Leased Line"). In conjunction with the lease of the NS Leased Line, M&NJ will also obtain incidental local and overhead trackage rights over the rail line located between the western end of Campbell Hall yard at milepost JS 67 .50 continuing for 9.1 miles to milepost JS 76.60 at
CP Howells, and from milepost SR 68.90 at CP Howells, continuing for 21 miles to milepost SR 89.90 at or near Port Jervis, New York (the "Incidental Trackage Rights"). The Incidental Trackage Rights are being granted over a line owned by NS and currently leased to Metro-North Commuter Railroad Company pursuant to a sublease agreement under which NSR retained the exclusive, irrevocable and perpetual right to provide or permit rail freight service on the line.
(3) The 1.9 mile rail line that M&NJ will lease is located between mileposts UJ 0, at Four Story Jct. and milepost UJ 1.9, at Middletown, N.Y. The trackage rights being granted to M&NJ are located between milepost JS 67.50, at the western end of the Campbell Hall yard and milepost JS 76.60, at CP Howells, and between milepost SR 68.90 at CP Howells and milepost SR 89.90, at or near Port Jervis N.Y.
(4) The length of the rail line being leased is approximately 1.9 miles. The length of the trackage rights being granted is approximately 30.1 miles.
 #1495018  by Jeff Smith

Not sure if this was covered; apologies if it was: https://www.recordonline.com/news/20181 ... ack-siding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MIDDLETOWN - The Middletown and New Jersey Railroad Corp. was awarded a state grant of $1.6 million to improve railroad infrastructure.
 #1495283  by oibu

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of MNJ rights all the way to Port Jervis is.

I get the connection of existing MNJ owned and leased track by leasing to 4 Story and having rights from there to CH... but somebody must have a purpose/reason for even talking about the 20 miles or so west from 4 Story to Port?
 #1495294  by cjvrr

I think NS just wants out of servicing any freight on that line west of Campbell Hall. Nothing to ship to or from Port Jervis other than oddball cars once in a great while. And perhaps M&NJ can market that area and gain some business in the future.
 #1495434  by pdtrains

Several industries up at PO with abandoned sidings, and room for team track unloading. Maybe MNJ thinks their's potential. Also official connection to the CNYK at PO. Not that its needed now, but if NYSW ever gets in pissing match with NS/NJT over trackage rights, having separate trackage rights would be really helpful. Also they might be thinking some day of replacing the CNYK on the srn tier, and being able to interchange with NS and CP at Bingo.