Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1379048  by TAMR213

Erie Limited wrote:A quick report on today's ME-2.

There are a lot of covered hoppers in there! I had to leave shortly after that, but I heard on the radio that they also had work on the Millstone. Busy day...

Rob
Missed the head end, but caught the tail end of todays train returning to Metuchen. Was told 20 cars, saw myself that at least half were covered hoppers.
 #1379122  by Erie Limited

ccutler wrote:Its encouraging to see so much business there again. Do you know what types of loads are going up the Millstone branch?
Just off the top of my head...

There is the one plastics customer on the Delco Lead.

Then there are at least three to four active customers on the Millstone. I think there are two other plastics customers (one is visible just west of Jersey Ave, I think they make plastic shopping bags), a recycling company that gets crushed glass and/or plastic in three-compartment covered hoppers and, I think, a customer that still occasionally receives box cars.

You can see one of the "recycling" hoppers in OCtrainguy's recent photo:
http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=4427385

Rob
 #1379922  by TAMR213

In addition, does the Wenner Bakery that is now open on Jersey Ave just North of the Millstone IT, receive cars? It was said in a news article when it was being built that they would make use of a rail spur.
 #1390098  by Erie Limited

Heard ME-2 asking for permission out of General Tire around 4:20pm today and headed to the Raritan River bridge as quickly as I could. Got there with seconds to spare as 4415 and 11 cars (plus the caboose) slowly crossed the bridge:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/580946/

Looks like there were at least 6 covered hoppers for the Delco Lead today, and that is where the crew was headed per their discussion with the dispatcher.

Rob
 #1397113  by OCtrainguy

While waiting for Amtrak's train 90 (Palmetto) at Metropark station, I caught the Metuchen to Oak Island freight transfer. The train had a pair of NS six axle engines and a CSX GP40-2. The video was taken with my cell phone, so it's not the best, but still neat catching this move. Not sure what the current symbol is for this train.

https://youtu.be/eNjrIQQRagQ
 #1410403  by davebdawg

Any word on whether or not the wye track off the corridor in Metuchen that crosses Vineyard road will be used to run trains into that huge warehouse they are building where the emerson plant used to be?
 #1410633  by Conrail Blue

I highly doubt they will get rail service. Right now the track ends at Vinyard Rd. The crossing and track to the old building are gone. Conrail would charge an exorbitant amount of money to replace it, ending and incentive to get rail service. From the looks of it Conrail is not interested in getting new customers. Take a look at the old GM site in Linden. Three new warehouses were built right across from the NEC and the old Linden yard. But no rail connection was put in.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know when the last time this line was used and what it was called? And if there's any chance it'll be used again? Driving on 287 you can tell the line is all overgrown.
 #1410663  by rr503

AFAIK CRSA can't technically do its own marketing; they're at the mercy of CSX/NS...

I would like to know what happened with those warehouses in Linden though, it seemed perfect for rail.
 #1412472  by OportRailfan

12/13/16 - ME-2 out as usual, and ME-5 in on the "O", reversing for the West leg of the wye. 41 Switch L&L normal around 1PM
 #1413363  by David Hutchinson

The former Westinghouse facility had a siding that crossed Vineyard Road and then continued past Westinghouse and turned towards Route 27 to service the old W. T. Grant stores warehouse. Before crossing Vineyard, there were two warehouses. A siding was there and maybe still is. One of the Warehouses was Don's Speed Shop. Not sure if one or both received cars. Further down on Route 27 on Talmadge Road, was an envelope company that had a siding that came off the PRR's "0", or "ought" track. This was right by the return loop track for Camp Kilmer. Also in the area was Lorraine Oil. They had a siding just before the entrance for Metuchen Yard. I think it's now a church. Metuchen Yard had two industries, Mueller Mix, a cement mixer manufacturer right across from the yard office and a plastics company in back of the cement mixer company. The plastics company always had fires there during the 1960's. There was also a team track right across from Lincoln Tower. Remember box cars being unloaded there in the 1960's. Speaking of Lincoln Tower, during the winter of 1964, a snow storm sidelined the GG-1's and a lot of passenger trains came up with Southern and RF&P e-units.