Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#699096  by OCtrainguy

As previously mentioned, here are my photos of the Metuchen Yard local as seen on June 26th coming out of the yard for the NEC. The first three photos are of the train in the yard while the last is of the train leaving the yard. The engine was NS SD40-2 3376 and the consist, from what I could see, was ACF cars.

NS 3376
A close-up of NS 3376
Starting to leave
Leaving the yard

Not sure which local this would have been, so if anyone knows, let me know. Enjoy!
 #699152  by nick11a

Hmm, it seems like it is going out on the NEC westward of there (where most of the customers are.) I haven't ever seen any of the locals use and SD40-2 for power. Usually, it is a GP15-2, GP38-2 or a GP40-2. It's probably ME-2, but appearances can be deceptive.
 #699300  by Kaback9

nick11a wrote:Hmm, it seems like it is going out on the NEC westward of there (where most of the customers are.) I haven't ever seen any of the locals use and SD40-2 for power. Usually, it is a GP15-2, GP38-2 or a GP40-2. It's probably ME-2, but appearances can be deceptive.
Could that just be the big bad OI train with the SD40-2 LHF?
 #706980  by blockline4180

TAMR213 wrote:Sorry about the long delay, but the sad news of the Millstone IT motivated me to post these. I recently caught ME-2 at Jersey Ave. complete with caboose.

Photos:
http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/arch ... x?id=47240
So was that the last movement over the branch for good?? I hope not!!
 #707023  by Mike77E9

TAMR213 wrote:Sorry about the long delay, but the sad news of the Millstone IT motivated me to post these. I recently caught ME-2 at Jersey Ave. complete with caboose.

Photos:
http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/arch ... x?id=47240
Good shots there. Any idea how often there's any movement there?
 #707397  by Kaback9

Any day of the week listen to the radio for ME-2 and for a form D to operate between Lincoln and County. I think thats all right but Mr.O would know more.
 #707456  by nick11a

Kaback9 wrote:Any day of the week listen to the radio for ME-2 and for a form D to operate between Lincoln and County. I think thats all right but Mr.O would know more.
Sort of.... :-)

Any freight train departing Metuchen's Receiving Yard usually calls CETC8 to get the signal onto the NEC (either heading from the east or west end- both ends are signaled). Heading west out of the west end though, they can only gain access to Tracks 1 and 2 as there is not a full interlocking there. Being that Track 2 is the only track of the two that is Rule 261 (signaled in both directions), sometimes CETC8 will issue a Form D from the receiving yard to County on Track 1 (to keep out of eastbound Amtrak Trains and the like on Track 2). Usually, CETC8 makes ME2 wait for a window to send him west on Track 2.

As for ME18, whenever it is going to Deans down near Midway, a Form D is issued to head west on Track 1 as the Deans switch is on Track 1.
 #707460  by Kaback9

LOL. At least I was sort of close. Just a heads up though ME-2 has been going down to Deans the past few weeks, kind of odd since that is the domain on ME-18.

Does anyone know if they still run the OI train pretty sure its now called OI 32, during the daylight anymore? I remember years ago seeing them fly past me while in Metropark, or while waiting for a train to Philly in Rahway.
 #707505  by Jtgshu

nick11a wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Any day of the week listen to the radio for ME-2 and for a form D to operate between Lincoln and County. I think thats all right but Mr.O would know more.
Sort of.... :-)

Any freight train departing Metuchen's Receiving Yard usually calls CETC8 to get the signal onto the NEC (either heading from the east or west end- both ends are signaled). Heading west out of the west end though, they can only gain access to Tracks 1 and 2 as there is not a full interlocking there. Being that Track 2 is the only track of the two that is Rule 261 (signaled in both directions), sometimes CETC8 will issue a Form D from the receiving yard to County on Track 1 (to keep out of eastbound Amtrak Trains and the like on Track 2). Usually, CETC8 makes ME2 wait for a window to send him west on Track 2.

As for ME18, whenever it is going to Deans down near Midway, a Form D is issued to head west on Track 1 as the Deans switch is on Track 1.
Another clue is when they line and lock (or open) the electric lock switches off of Track 0. There are three electric locks, one for the west end of the receiving yard, one for the east end, and for the west leg of the wye. So most times, they have to open up one of them, and WILL have to open one to head into/out of the yard.

Its called Edison interlocking at the west end where the trains come out onto the main (main tracks 1,2,3 and 4). There is a switch from 2 to 1, and from 1 to 0. From what I have noticed, most freight going to County, whoever that might be, I don't pay attnetion, I have a hard enough time remembering my own train number...., goes down 2 track. (after crossing over to 2 at Edison) It seems its done that way because 1) CETC 8 don't have to give a form d from Edison to County, 2) they only have to tie up 3 tracks and not all 4 in case something bad happens, 3) if there is switch failure at County, eastbounds can still run down track 1, and be able to make the platforms on track 1.

I have also heard CTEC 8 allowing the freights that are going to Deans run them down 2 track, clear west of midway and then head east on track 1 to Deans. This is done sometimes if there is an eastbound local coming up, or a relatively small window for them to get out of the way. I have only seen them do that if they are running light though.
 #812837  by bm555

Saw a good size southboundtrain with 2 6 axle units (1 NS, 1 CSX) by Union Sunday Afternoon (couldnt get the numbers, an inbound NJT MU Job was heading by infront). Would this be the WPME10 Metuchen Oak Island transfer?

The giant empty lots where Ford in Metuchen and GM in Linden used to be were a sight to behold, almost as if they never existed!
 #812875  by TAMR213

bm555 wrote:Saw a good size southboundtrain with 2 6 axle units (1 NS, 1 CSX) by Union Sunday Afternoon (couldnt get the numbers, an inbound NJT MU Job was heading by infront). Would this be the WPME10 Metuchen Oak Island transfer?

The giant empty lots where Ford in Metuchen and GM in Linden used to be were a sight to behold, almost as if they never existed!
Heard this train on the radio the other day clearing the 0 track onto the wye at Metuchen. I forget the exact symbol, but the train was operating out of Oak Island.
 #812988  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Here is a link to one of my photo postings at http://www.subchat.com, which I took at Elizabeth Station (NJT/Amtrak NEC), which showed a lengthy freight, hauled by a "1999 Consist" of one NS unit (GP38-2), one CR (GP38-2) and a CSX SD40-2 (an East-Of-Hudson/Oak Point 8800-series with third rail notches in the plows for running in MNR electrified territory). I believe this freight was destined for Metuchen Yard I believe which originated at Oak Island. I didn't have my scanner on me, so I am merely speculating all that, but it seemed to make the most sense. Guess what??? It also had a SPLAT on the end!!! Take a look, it appears at the end of the post!!

Here's the link!!
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=934922
 #812992  by TBRED

Sunday's train was running under the OI32 symbol,CSXT 8855,CSXT 1534,NS 5271..24x3.Ran lite back to Oak Island..
The consist lashed up like elephants was I Recall A 39X0 train..We're crewed under a different symbol,but will normally use OI32 on the radio.
those were some flat spots huh?... :wink: