Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#790469  by farmerjohn

Have not been on here in a while and thought I would ask is this ever gonna get done? I havnt seen any work done or any news really other than "$90 million given to gold line" well the funds are there, wheres the work?
 #791816  by lensovet

pennsy wrote:Still at the discussion stage. Local politicians are having a good time.
uh hello?
Today, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board of Directors approved the terms for the Funding Transfer and Master Cooperative Agreements between the agency and Foothill Extension Construction Authority, setting the stage for construction to begin on the first new rail project funded by Measure R.
This $810 million funding agreement provides the guidelines and mechanism by which Metro will fund the project through Measure R and other local funds; while the cooperative agreement defines the roles and responsibilities of the two agencies during design and construction. Importantly, these agreements ensure efficient and cost-effective oversight of the long-awaited light rail project, and guarantee significant coordination and information sharing between agencies.
rest at http://www.foothillextension.org/PDF/Pr ... -03-25.pdf
 #805983  by superbad

I was looking at homes online in the corridor of the foothills extension, for LA homes in this area appear to be quite affordable.. (note: i have no clue what these areas are like demographically).. can someone who lives in the LA area tell me if property values will jump once the first part of the extension is completed in a few years?
 #811620  by gprimr1

Generally, in suberbs of large cities, property values to raise when railroad based public transportation is installed. The values should raise even higher if the railroad is grade seperated so it is unimpedied by traffic.

I would buy now if your looking.
 #893151  by lpetrich

Metro Gold Line

The Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority is building it from Sierra Madre Villa to Azusa, and they are planning a further extension from Azusa to Montclair and perhaps also Ontario Airport. They expect to be done by 2014.

Like the existing Pasadena part of the Gold Line, it will be built in the ATSF right-of-way, complete with replacement of bridges. Its I-210 one will be at the location of a bridge that had been removed some years ago. It will have some interesting architecture -- its piers will look like baskets.
 #1121784  by lpetrich

Gold Line Foothill Extension Bridge is complete! | Metro's The Source, the bridge for crossing I-210's south lanes.
Public celebrates completion of new Gold Line Bridge in Arcadia | Metro's The Source
It's wide enough for two tracks, so it won't be a bottleneck.

Checking Phase 2A: Pasadena to Azusa | Metro Gold Line, they are now shooting for finishing by 2015.
 #1354277  by Jeff Smith

News: Progressive Railroading

Brief, fair-use quote:
L.A. Metro's Foothill Gold Line extension to open in spring 2016

The first segment of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority's (Metro) Gold Line Foothill Extension is slated to open to the public on March 5, 2016, the agency announced yesterday.

Funded by the 2008 Measure R countywide sales tax, the $1 billion project will extend the Metro Gold Line 12 miles east to Azusa, Calif., with new stations in Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, Irwindale, downtown Azusa, and near the campuses of Azusa Public University and Citrus College.

The line has taken about five years to build, with major construction completed in September 2015.

Metro has now accepted delivery of the rail line extension and will perform pre-revenue operations testing over the next several months.<SNIP>