Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#711829  by kp5308

Is it me or is the Metrolink online schedule an ordeal to figure out? Anyway, this Jersey guy & his wife are going to Capistrano Beach in October & I've got an idea for my "railfan day" but can't seem to make sense of the schedule.

Here's the idea, so please let me know if I can do this on a weekday schedule: IEOC from SanJuan Capistrano to San Bernardino.....SB Line into LAUPT.....Orange County Line back to San Juan Cap w a stop at Fullerton. If not, maybe do it in reverse? Any other ideas are welcome!
 #712865  by Fan Railer

Plan One (original):
Train 850 from San Juan Capistrano (7:59 am departure) one stop to Laguna Niguel/ Mission Viejo, wait an hour then,
Train 800 from Laguna Niguel/ Mission Viejo (9:05 am departure) to San Bernandino (arrive at 10:50 am), then,
Train 321 from San Bernandino (10:00 am departure, a bit tight, i know) to LA union station (arrive at 12:30 pm), then
Train 688 from LA union station (4:50 pm departure, so time for lunch and railfan of LACMTA lines (red or blue, you choose)) to Fullerton (arrive at 5:24 pm), then, after dinner at nearby Spagetti Factory,
Train 608 from Fullerton (7:04 pm departure) to San Juan Capistrano (arrive at 7:48 pm, just in time for bed lol)

Plan Two (reverse):
Train 607 from San Juan Capistrano (7:11 am departure) to Fullerton (Arrive at 7:57 am) then,
Train 685 from Fullerton (8:34 am departure) to Union Station (arrive at 9:20) then

allow 3.5 hours for additional LACMTA railfan (i suggest Red line to Universal city, then either Gold Line, or Blue Line [i would go with blue, gold is a bit boring unless you go to chinatown for lunch] and lunch)

Train 402 from Union Station (riverside line, depart 1:15 pm, so cut LACMTA railfaning down to one line [blue or red], then lunch) to Riverside Downtown (arrive 2:43 pm) then
Train 813 from Riverside Downtown (depart 3:27 pm) to Irvine (arrive 4:45 pm) then,
Train 604 from Irvine (depart 5:30-5:37 pm) to San Juan Capistrano (arrive at 5:51, for dinner who knows where lol)

the end
Hope this helps
 #737439  by pennsy

You have time for lunch at LAUS, and I recommend Phillipes on Alameda. The fellas in the information booth will give you directions, a short walk north. Great sandwiches.
 #737441  by Fan Railer

pennsy wrote:You have time for lunch at LAUS, and I recommend Phillipes on Alameda. The fellas in the information booth will give you directions, a short walk north. Great sandwiches.
they went in october...