Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#509749  by Tom6921

Whatever became of the three ex Amtrak F40s that Metrolink bought, but didn't enter service? Are they still on Metrolink properity?

Also, when Metrolink's MP36s arrive, will they keep F40 #800 or will it be retired?
 #509983  by farmerjohn

Tom6921 wrote:Whatever became of the three ex Amtrak F40s that Metrolink bought, but didn't enter service? Are they still on Metrolink properity?

Also, when Metrolink's MP36s arrive, will they keep F40 #800 or will it be retired?
The F40's are sitting in the service bay in L.A. Ive seen 2 of them. One sits around the other if im not mistaken is painted in operation life saver as well as the caboose that was tagged along with it? This was about 2 years ago though. Could be mistaken. Im going to L.A. tomorrow actually, could ask if I see a familiar face. But their are other Metro riders on here that just might have that information. I think the F40 will still see SOME service. Again will ask if get the chance.
 #510045  by amtrakhogger

Were these the units that Metrolink wanted to kit bash with two SD-60's
to make a 3800hp F40? I remember Metrolink had an RFP out for the
job but they had no takers so the plan was scuttled.
 #510407  by farmerjohn

amtrakhogger wrote:Were these the units that Metrolink wanted to kit bash with two SD-60's
to make a 3800hp F40? I remember Metrolink had an RFP out for the
job but they had no takers so the plan was scuttled.
You are correct. I asked yesterday and they were sold off.

#510591  by Tom6921

I know Metrolink sold the four SD60s to a leasing company which ended up leasing them to Union Pacific (which they originally came by way of the CNW). But were the F40s sold off as well?

#510740  by farmerjohn

Tom6921 wrote:I know Metrolink sold the four SD60s to a leasing company which ended up leasing them to Union Pacific (which they originally came by way of the CNW). But were the F40s sold off as well?
Ya, sold off. The project like stated before was scrapped.

#511023  by stilson4283

They do still have some F40 on the AV line. I see them at the station in Lancaster daily.

Chris

Lancaster, CA

#511489  by farmerjohn

stilson4283 wrote:They do still have some F40 on the AV line. I see them at the station in Lancaster daily.

Chris

Lancaster, CA
Awsome to hear! I was just at LA for the weekend and didnt see one in sight and I was told they were sold off and what not due to the project being out of reach. How do those F40's handle grades? anyproblems?