Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#522691  by lensovet

that's a sharp-looking locomotive, though i wish they did something more creative with the whole 'Metrolink' thing on the side. can't say what it is exactly, but something that would a bit less boring and more evocative of "modern" and "fast" ...

#522737  by pennsy

This appears to be a standard Metrolink EMD F-59 PHI.

#522870  by farmerjohn

pennsy wrote:This appears to be a standard Metrolink EMD F-59 PHI.
ahahaha :-D

#522901  by pennsy

Standard or not, these engines have been giving Metrolink many problems. The PHI units have a nasty habit of failing en route. Got caught initially on # 886, had a nasty habit of stalling and killing the engine. Almost had to help conductor Walker push the pile of steel back to LAUS. And sometime after that another F-59 PHI decided to call it quits between the Montclair station and Claremont station. All those rush hour passengers had to leave that train and climb on board the following train, mine. Pitiful sight to see young ladies, in their high heels etc. going from one train into ours across the tracks, gravel etc. etc. Lot of clean dresses and suit pants got somewhat dishevled en route. By comparison, the EMD F-59 PH units are older, yet do not have problems. They simply keep racking up those miles of service.

#523139  by metraRI

As much as it may look like Metrolink's current F59PHI's... it's an MP36PH-3C, which are brand new to Metrolink operations.

#523214  by pennsy

That smooth roof did raise some questions. Here is hoping that they have the reliability problem solved.

#523412  by DutchRailnut

To say that a F59phi looks like MP36 is like saying Opra looks like Heidi Klum
:-D :-D :-D
The F59phi

and the MP36.

Some of differences lenght, height, front windows 4 vs 3, skirting, vents etc

#523440  by M&Eman

They are both examples of oversized American engines. The Northeast should not have to always procure special orders for equipment just because the loading guage out West is gargantuan. 14'6" should be the maximum height for anything.

#524024  by farmerjohn

pennsy wrote:Standard or not, these engines have been giving Metrolink many problems. The PHI units have a nasty habit of failing en route. Got caught initially on # 886, had a nasty habit of stalling and killing the engine. Almost had to help conductor Walker push the pile of steel back to LAUS. And sometime after that another F-59 PHI decided to call it quits between the Montclair station and Claremont station. All those rush hour passengers had to leave that train and climb on board the following train, mine. Pitiful sight to see young ladies, in their high heels etc. going from one train into ours across the tracks, gravel etc. etc. Lot of clean dresses and suit pants got somewhat dishevled en route. By comparison, the EMD F-59 PH units are older, yet do not have problems. They simply keep racking up those miles of service.
Ive heard it happen more than twice, I hear its frequent! just not on SB Line.
Were you by any chance stuck on the switch out on the 10 that evening?
I know the other shut down was right after leaving Pomona (north) if I remember. I was their believe it or not thinking I was never going to make it home.ahaha

#524058  by pennsy

Nope, but was that a problem with the turnouts or the F-59 PHI ?

#524128  by farmerjohn

pennsy wrote:Nope, but was that a problem with the turnouts or the F-59 PHI ?
F59 it happened right on the 10 freeway outside of the Cal State LA station. Right after departure from their when it got into that short siding on the 10 power loss happened. Sitting their for a while till the back up lights came back on, power was restored and we were on our way then some where down by El Monte or Baldwin Park, powerless again then seemed fine up until Pomona, Power loss again! was a bad night. Ive heard of it happening on the OC/IE line before but ive experienced this one.

#524159  by mbta1051dan

farmerjohn wrote:
F59 it happened right on the 10 freeway outside of the Cal State LA station. Right after departure from their when it got into that short siding on the 10 power loss happened. Sitting their for a while till the back up lights came back on, power was restored and we were on our way then some where down by El Monte or Baldwin Park, powerless again then seemed fine up until Pomona, Power loss again! was a bad night. Ive heard of it happening on the OC/IE line before but ive experienced this one.
Two quick questions, first of all, what engine did this, and what specifically failed? The HEP? An F59 can still move even if the HEP isn't running.

-Dan

#524167  by farmerjohn

mbta1051dan wrote:
farmerjohn wrote:
Two quick questions, first of all, what engine did this, and what specifically failed? The HEP? An F59 can still move even if the HEP isn't running.

-Dan
It was the f59 phi. What happened is we were making our way out of the yard at a reasonable speed once we cleared it we start pulling out of the first stop really smooth, got slow, quiet and all the sudden train stopped, lights went out back ups kicked on and we were sitting out in the middle of a freeway ahaha. Engineer really couldn't figure out was up with what the conductor was saying and what was going on, on the radio. Was chatting with the conductor before this happened and he was lost for ideas.
They ended up getting that engine to fire back up and we were on our way. THEN! 1 more stop, power failure, we cruise slow to the next on a creeping crawl through the night and then another power failure. Then crawl all the way through the back side of San Dimas headed on to pomona (north) and then power failure again. Then Claremont, power failure. So id be interested to hear.
I believe it was power failure. Don't know that much anatomy of that type engine but electrical is what I heard.