Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1360693  by NH2060

jackintosh11 wrote:Can I take a Metro-North train to Stamford and then get on a Shore Line east train there and get off in New Haven?
I don't see why it would be a problem. Commuters do switch to the SLE express runs @ Stamford as it is so I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed onboard to only New Haven as long as you have a ticket (i.e. GCT to NHV). West of NHV it's really a Metro-North run with MNR personnel. East of there it's strictly SLE with Amtrak crews. Either way it's a CDOT train.
 #1361165  by Kilgore Trout

For a time I was commuting West Haven-GCT. If I missed the MN train, I just got on the following SLE train, rode to Stamford, and switched to MN there. Nobody batted an eye.
 #1361470  by ebtmikado

SLE equipment between STM and NHV are Metro North trains, staffed by Metro North crews.
You just tell the ticket collector on the train from GCT that you are transferring at STM.
He or she will make a series of punches on the ticket, indicating the transfer, then return the ticket to you.

Lee
 #1361914  by Jeff Smith

MNRR is also the operator west of New Haven (union rules) for commuter service. Those revenues west of NH contribute to the cost-sharing agreement between CtDOT and NYS. I could not find a way to calculate the fare.

SLE Tickets and Fares
Shore Line East Connecting Passengers
Passengers who transfer from a Metro North train to Shore Line East may purchase combined tickets from Metro North ticket machines and ticket windows before boarding the train.
UniRail Ticket
If you live east of New Haven and work west of New Haven, it makes even more sense than ever to commute by train. Our combination Shore Line East/Metro-North UniRail Ticket saves you up to $51 a month. And, with no traffic, weather, car or parking problems and expenses, it's a great transportation bargain.

UniRail tickets are available at Union Station in New Haven, at any New Haven Line ticket window, and through Metro-North's Mail&Ride program. For further information on the Mail & Ride program, contact Metro-North at 1 (212) 532-4900.
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/fares.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One-Way UniRail

Connecticut customers can purchase a Shore Line East one-way ticket and a Metro-North one-way ticket in one quick transaction at any ticket office or ticket machine.
 #1523113  by jxzz

SLE and Metro North cross honoring tickets between New Haven and Stamford. In some sense, SLE is just an extension of MNR new haven line to New London.
 #1523170  by Backshophoss

New Haven line,GCT to New Haven East,joint operation by MN,ConnDOT.
SLE,New Haven to New London,Join ops ConnDOT,Amtrak.
Note:SLE equipment,New Haven to Stamford,operated by MN T&E crews
NH H&Springfield,Joint ops Transit America,ConnDOT,allowed to use the Amtrak Springfield shuttles.
Springfield to Greenfield,joint ops MassDOT&Amtrak,expermental. PAR Dispatch.