To confirm what Ridgefielder states, here’s some historical confirmation on the former Harlem River Branch service that ended in the early 30’s, followed shortly after by the NYW&B:
http://gothamist.com/2019/01/23/metro_n ... ations.php
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MTA To Add Four New Stations In The East Bronx (At Metro-North Prices)
Some slight inaccuracies: the track south of New Rochelle terminated at the Harlem River terminal. In a non-quoted passage, alluding to CheckTheDoorLight’s earlier question on Fordham, they say the NH shares track in the Bronx with the Hudson Line but “makes no stops”; it’s the Harlem. They then mention the discharge stop at Fordham, with a follow up that MNRR is discussing the issue with CT.
However, transit buffs know that these "new" stations are really a restoration of local access to a line that last saw local railroad service in the early 1930s. And the success of the new stations could depend on whether the MTA offers discounted fares for travel within city limits, something the authority has resisted in the past.
The New Haven Line, which will include the new Bronx stations, originated as the New York and New Haven Railroad in 1849. By the early 1900s the line had expanded and was known as the New York, New Haven and Hartford; it expanded to six electrified tracks, and terminated at the second Grand Central Terminal at Park Avenue and East 42nd Street that opened in 1913.
The NY & NH opened several stations in the Bronx around this time, all of which were active from approximately 1906 through 1931; they were designed by renowned architect Cass Gilbert, designer of the Woolworth Building. Some of these stations are still standing: The southernmost, the Hunts Point station, is a handsome dormered building on the north side of Hunts Point Avenue at the Bruckner Expressway, currently occupied by stores and scheduled for rehabilitation. The Westchester Avenue station is a Beaux Arts classic, now abandoned, stretching over the tracks at Westchester and Whitlock Avenues at the Sheridan Expressway, featuring the NY, NH and H's winged staff of Hermes with its two entwined snakes.
The former Morris Park stationhouse ruin can be seen along the north side of the railroad at Sacket and Paulding Avenues; in recent years, someone has festooned it in an American flag motif, with stars at the entrance and bars on the sides. A final station ruin that served the long-gone trolley line to City Island stands in the woods a short distance south of City Island Road from the Hutchinson River Parkway to the City Island circle. Other stops along the line, at Casanova Street, West Farms, Van Nest, and Baychester, have completely disappeared.