Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#392942  by theozno

I got a good one for you guys,
In recent years when i did the bike ny tour I was able to get an express train from stamford but i was looking at the scedule this year and there is no express train into the city anymore in the 5am hour. do any of you know why this is? I know that there is a special train that goes from new haven - westport and then express into the city but that doesn't help me from stamford. It is a bit annoying to have to get into the city a bit later because when I get down to battery park for the bike ny tour, it takes a lot longer.
do you know (dutch I am looking at you!) why they woud not have a special bike train that stops at stamford?

#392954  by Fred G

The accountants deemed that ridership made a local around 5 am more logical? Running a separate express for a carful or 2 of people was axed in cost cutting?

We all like express trains but isn't the local to GCT only 20 min longer?

#395330  by toddr4fun

Won't help you at stamford--but I was just looking over my Bike NY Materials and a special "Bike Train" express is running from New Haven (4:28am departure) and arrives at GCT at 6:12 with stops at Milford, Bridgeport, Fairfield, Westport, GCT.

#395575  by theozno

I took the local from old greenwich at 5:05 Am got i 20 min early into GCT at 6am instead of 6:19 due time. Kudos to metro north. what time did the express get in? I did not see it on the board because it was a special train. If i had to guess their were 2 tracks out at fordham so did you guys get in later?

toddr4fun wrote:Won't help you at stamford--but I was just looking over my Bike NY Materials and a special "Bike Train" express is running from New Haven (4:28am departure) and arrives at GCT at 6:12 with stops at Milford, Bridgeport, Fairfield, Westport, GCT.
:-D

#396100  by Spro

What the 4:33 from Poughkeepsie looked like between Peekskill and Croton as the sun was coming up.

Forgive for the blurrys.. I had cleats on, okay.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_mhPL303T4jE/Rj_ ... 300019.JPG

After doing this tour for years, the reaction of the train crews varies, but the best will always be the conductor on the first train from Brewster North (it was'nt southeast then) as they backed into the platform clearly mouthing the words "holy s$^t" as he saw all the bikes.

The last few years M-N has done very well with this, some years the train crews don't even know about it. The 4:33 hudson line train was the best add for me, this is the 3rd or 4th year that train has run.

In GCT

http://bp2.blogger.com/_mhPL303T4jE/Rj_ ... 300021.JPG
 #665305  by Erie-Lackawanna

Terrapin Station wrote:They'll allow bikes on more trains closer to and during rush hour, and will make trains where bikes are not allowed "the exception", instead of the rule.
With one caveat: Inbound AM Peak and Outbound PM Peak trains still carry a blanket restriction on bicycles. The changes do not affect inbound AM Peak and outbound PM Peak trains in any way. Anything you may have read that says or implies otherwise is incorrect, and from MNR's end, that mis-communication has been corrected.

Jim
 #665534  by Terrapin Station

So I guess these rules changes aren't affecting the various current limits MNCR puts on the numbers of bikes per car and per train, depending on train and day of the week, etc.?

I was wondering if any MNCR riders or employees have, in recent times, ever heard of or been part of an incident where someone's bike was denied entry because the limit of bikes allowed for that specific train had already been reached? If so, what were the details of the incident, and does anyone think MNCR's current limits should be revised for any reason? And if so, do you think MNCR would be able to safely accommodate the greater number of bikes that you propose?

Thanks.
 #665535  by theozno

I can now go up to Wassaic without as many issues as I had before. I also try to notify the conductors on the Upper Harlum line which train I am taking back in case of an unexpected bustitution. this happens rarely but it does happen. I also noticed same with the Danbury branch thank you MNR!
anyone know if I can put my bike on 1838? according to the big schedule i can but accrding to the side schedule for the danbury branch I cannot. Do you suppose they are only reffering to 1538? I think so
Erie-Lackawanna wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:They'll allow bikes on more trains closer to and during rush hour, and will make trains where bikes are not allowed "the exception", instead of the rule.
With one caveat: Inbound AM Peak and Outbound PM Peak trains still carry a blanket restriction on bicycles. The changes do not affect inbound AM Peak and outbound PM Peak trains in any way. Anything you may have read that says or implies otherwise is incorrect, and from MNR's end, that mis-communication has been corrected.

Jim
 #665543  by RearOfSignal

If you look at the May 3rd timetables on the mta.info you should be able to see the difference. I didn't notice any change on the Hudson, but on two Harlem line AM reverse peak trains (615 & 617), they are indicated specifically as non-bike trains. As those trains are crowded, I can attest first hand for that.

As far as not permitting bikes on train, the biggest sticking point is bikes on peak trains. I have worked trains where bikes were denied transport during peak hours as indicated by rule and have heard others refuse to move the train if an unauthorized bike boards en route. Otherwise, if you bring a bike onto a train it is your responsibility to keep it out of the way so as not to occupy seats or block aisles or doors. You must stay with your bike, you can leave it up against a door and go sit in another car. Some conductors may stick hard to the exact number of bikes on the train, some may be more lenient depending on how crowded the train is. Peak hour is a no-no though.
 #665811  by pnaw10

L'mont wrote:I would take the train to work if I could bring a bicycle, at least at some point during the AM and PM rush.
You can -- if it's a folding bike. I was about to make a sarcastic remark about how they cost a lot more than a normal bike, but a quick Google search turned up some decent-looking prospects under $200. Soo.... not as bad as I thought. I just don't know how the ride on a folding bike compares to a normal bike. Never had the chance to try one in person, but they did look considerably smaller in the pictures.

As much as I love biking,I can still understand how regular bikes can quickly eat up space on a crowded train -- not to mention the aggravation that might be caused to other customers on the crowded GCT platforms when a train unloads. Even though you wouldn't be riding on the platform or in the building, I can see people being touchy about bikes being around, if there happened to be several getting off the same train.
 #673347  by Jeff Smith

Offered without comment, but sure to get some:

Hartford Courant Opinion
Although this appears to be a policy showing more awareness of bike riders' interest in using the railroad, it has had a most negative effect. Even though bikes had previously been prohibited, the conductors generally looked the other way because onboard bikes normally cause no trouble. This is especially true on trains on the New Haven line north of Stamford, as those cars are virtually never full before stopping there en route to Grand Central.
 #673668  by Erie-Lackawanna

ajp wrote:i wonder how they classify folding bikes which take up the same space as a large artists portfolio (otto should be familiar with the size i'm talking about)
The answer to your question is easily obtainable by going to http://www.mta.info, which is where the search for the correct answer to any Metro-North policy questions should begin. You would have had your answer within 5 minutes of asking the question, whereas here you've already waited almost 12 hours without an answer.

If you don't have access to the internet, or you can't find your answer on the MTA web site, then 24-hour telephone assistance is available at 1-800-METRO-INFO (638-7646).

Jim