Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#673700  by Harlem Line to Southeast

ajp wrote:i wonder how they classify folding bikes which take up the same space as a large artists portfolio (otto should be familiar with the size i'm talking about)
"Folding bicycles are allowed onboard trains at all times and do not require a permit. Please fold your bike before boarding and don’t block the aisle or doors."

Like Jim said, see http://www.mta.info/bike/.
 #673720  by RearOfSignal

Sarge wrote:Offered without comment, but sure to get some:

Hartford Courant Opinion
Although this appears to be a policy showing more awareness of bike riders' interest in using the railroad, it has had a most negative effect. Even though bikes had previously been prohibited, the conductors generally looked the other way because onboard bikes normally cause no trouble. This is especially true on trains on the New Haven line north of Stamford, as those cars are virtually never full before stopping there en route to Grand Central.
Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. If it weren't for some of his fellow bike riders who are major jerks, then the railroad wouldn't need that rule. The problem is that people abuse the system. For example trains 1538 and 1581 both no-bike trains. 1538 is standing room only all the way up to Fairfield. So someone trying to get on with a bike will be asked to leave the train, as there is clearly no room. However 1581 often has bikes getting on NH or Milford and getting off at Bridgeport or Stratford, by that time the train is still relatively empty and the crews often cut you a break. But by the time you get to Stamford there's no room, by Greenwich forget it. So someone getting on at NH going to New York can't understand why they can't bring the bike, but someone going NH to Milford can. Keep in mind that most train crews don't want to make problems so they'll let certain things slide if it's not going to make a difference(like going NH to Milford with a bike). But since some people abuse someone's kindness it forces crews on some trains to follow the rules to the T to be fair to everyone since some people spoil it for others.
 #673734  by Jeff Smith

The article, or opinion piece, was clearly of the mindset as that woman from Harrison whose opinion piece I linked a month or so ago. They act like it's the end of the world, and Metro-North personally aggrieved THEM. Anyway, I wanted to post this one because I know those on the "in" like to keep tabs on that. Hey, the world revolves aroung THEM, and everyone else is just here to serve THEM.
 #673855  by Harlem Line to Southeast

I agree with what RearofSignal has said. I find it incredibly arrogant for the writer of that opinion piece to complain that he doesn't like the new rules when some friendly train crew members kindly gave him leeway with the old ones. I also find it laughable that the writer doesn't seem to understand the concept of the train filling up as the train continues its route, at which point the bike does take up space other passengers deserve. I side with the railroad on this issue for sure.
 #674213  by ajp

"E-L" wrote
"The answer to your question is easily obtainable by going to http://www.mta.info, which is where the search for the correct answer to any Metro-North policy questions should begin. You would have had your answer within 5 minutes of asking the question, whereas here you've already waited almost 12 hours without an answer.

If you don't have access to the internet, or you can't find your answer on the MTA web site, then 24-hour telephone assistance is available at 1-800-METRO-INFO (638-7646)."

all nice and well - there was a conductor the other morning mamk-gct that said a bike is a bike and please don't get on.

maybe they should spend time with the website. (at least he said please)
 #674408  by jjabramsisagod

The MTA should take a clue from the NYC Subway. It's policy boils down to, bikes are allowed in the subway at all times, however you should avoid rush hour. Do the subways have smaller crowds or something? The subway runs can be long and uncomfortable, yet they have no problem letting someone bring a bike on board at any time.
 #674413  by RearOfSignal

The subway suggestions, urge you to use the larger B Division cars not the smaller Division A cars. However unlike the subway, MNR trains have a different seating arrangement which is not a conducive to standing room or room for bicycles.
 #674415  by RDL 879

Sarge wrote:The article, or opinion piece, was clearly of the mindset as that woman from Harrison whose opinion piece I linked a month or so ago. They act like it's the end of the world, and Metro-North personally aggrieved THEM. Anyway, I wanted to post this one because I know those on the "in" like to keep tabs on that. Hey, the world revolves around THEM, and everyone else is just here to serve THEM.
Harlem Line to Southeast wrote:I agree with what RearofSignal has said. I find it incredibly arrogant for the writer of that opinion piece to complain that he doesn't like the new rules when some friendly train crew members kindly gave him leeway with the old ones. I also find it laughable that the writer doesn't seem to understand the concept of the train filling up as the train continues its route, at which point the bike does take up space other passengers deserve. I side with the railroad on this issue for sure.
The arrogance and sense of self-importance of some members of the militant bicyclist crowd can be breathtaking at times. In their view, the only thing that will spare the Earth from imminent destruction is the accommodation of their bicycles on all trains at all times.
 #674630  by jjabramsisagod

The arrogance and sense of self-importance of some members of the militant bicyclist crowd can be breathtaking at times. In their view, the only thing that will spare the Earth from imminent destruction is the accommodation of their bicycles on all trains at all times.
What on Earth are you talking about? All this guy wants to do is get to work. Do you think it's so self important to ride the train to get to work? "Breathtaking" ? Seriously, take your tin-foil hat off for a second and realize that these people are just commuters that need to get to work. It's not like some militant terrorist organization of bikers. Geesh, no wonder why Bush got elected to two terms.

NYC subway policy not good enough? How about Caltrain, with designated bike cars and leaving the decision to allow a bike on a crowded train with the Conductor. The MTA policy is flawed. If you want to ride the train and use your bike to get to work, you can't.
 #674631  by DutchRailnut

Dragging a bike back and forth to work, is big waste of energy and resources, the bike rider could get a second bike ot work/station, and save him/her self a big headache and the community less grief.

MTA or outsider should provide Bicycle storage in GCT for a small fee, like European city stations do.
 #674645  by Trainer

jjabramsisagod wrote: It's not like some militant terrorist organization of bikers. Geesh, no wonder why Bush got elected to two terms.
Are you so sure? Cyclists are already organizing themselves as victims of the mean ol' nasty MTA, and we know how hip it now is to be a victim - hell, it was the Victims' Coalition who voted in todays political culture of entitlement. Scream loudly enough and Big Brother will schlep you a pacifier to suck on - the NIMBY's learned that a long time ago.

It seems to me that when it comes to having bikes on trains, each of the entities involved should policies that address and reinforce whatever their respective missions are. Since the mission of the subway is to provide inner-city transportation to people who live and work in New York, it's logical that they allow - and allow for - bikes for their intended customers. Amtrak has several options for long-distance bike transportation, but they're not entitlements, and its first-come, first served on their available space to help fulfill their mission of transporting people around the country.

The primary mission of the Metro-North Commuter Railroad is to transport people back and forth to work to New York City. If bicycles interfere with providing that mission in a safe and expedient way, then they don't belong on the trains. If there happens to be room, the smart thing is to look the other way. But if you're going to insist on having specific rules that allow certain numbers of bicycles, then to avoid being charged with discrimination you're going to have to follow those rules, and that means that some of those bikes are not going to be allowed on the trains anymore.

It's too bad for everyone that Big Brother had to stick his nose where common sense used to run things.
 #675939  by Jeff Smith

Follow up to the earlier letter to the editor. Give an inch, take a mile.......

Courant Editorial 5/28/09
To its credit, Metro-North has updated its policies to make it easier for peop le to take bicycles on the train. The railroad, for example, allows non-folding bicycles on more runs. Unfortunately, these runs are during hours that don't coincide with the average commute.

For Ryan Flynn, a bike commuter from Norwalk who works in Milford, the result of the new policy has been discouraging. In an op-ed column in The Courant, Mr. Flynn described the new rules as allowing cyclists like himself less, not more, flexibility.
 #778241  by Jeff Smith

The beat goes on.......

Westport News Editorial
We support full access for bicyclists for the same reasons.

Currently Metro-North now issues permits to bicyclists and conductors can bar cyclists from trains that are deemed too crowded.

Unfortunately bikes are banned from morning peak trains -- those traveling toward Grand Central Terminal in the morning, and then north back toward Connecticut during the evening rush hour.

If bikes aren't allowed on peak trains, then how are people supposed to bike to work?
Meanwhile, while MNRR issues contracts to design and install bike racks on already crowded trains, therefore, crowing out more customers to SRO or the platform, they are also laying off 90 something employees? How does this make sense? Screw bikes.

Seriously, this falls under the category of nice to have. It would be nice to be able to bike to and from the train for longer commutes, but there are easier ways that don't require putting bikes on trains. One: have bikes or other modes available at the destination station available for rent. Use your own bike to the station. Two: buy a foldable bike (I think that was mentioned earlier).
 #778262  by Ridgefielder

First thing that occured to me when I read the above is, who on Earth is riding a bike from GCT to wherever they need to go in Manhattan? Even if you work in Stamford, the vast majority of office space is downtown near the train station (to accomodate reverse commuters from NYC); many of the companies that aren't right there provide shuttle-bus service that meets the train.

Here's an idea-- survey the monthly commutation holders from, say, Westport and see how many actually want to ride a bicycle at the work end of their train trip. If the demand exists, fair enough-- figure out how to accomodate it. If it doesn't, well, too bad for the bicyclists. Hey, like I said before in another context, I know a few people from my hometown who would love it if #1848 or #1860 carried parlors and a diner on Friday, like it did "once upon a time", but I accept that that just ain't happening in the forseeable future.