Railroad Forums 

• Metre-Gauge railways in Provence - the Central Var Line

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1469611  by rogerfarnworth

Hello,

As I have already mentioned, I am pondering converting my blog into an online book. This might prove of interest to people. I have taken this a little further and produced the first few chapters of the book I am imagining. They are at the moment missing a contents page and and editorial page but I'd appreciate comments on whether the book might be worth publishing on line and whether you think it should be free or charged for?

If you are interested, please follow this link via my blog:

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... la-france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes

Roger
 #1491340  by rogerfarnworth

In November 2018, my wife and I visited a number of the perched villages in the area around Fayence. As a result, I have updated one or two posts on my blog which relate to parts of the Central Var metre-gauge line. The changes to the post below relate to a visit to the perched village of Tanneron which sits high in the hills above the line. The village is a staggering 11 kilometres from the old station which bore its name.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2017/12/03/li ... rovence-26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491341  by rogerfarnworth

On the same journey on 15th November 2018, Jo and I were also fortunate enough to follow the line of the D94 linking Tanneron to the site of its station, and then to travel along the D562 and the Avenue de Narbonne before visiting the village of Montauroux The result of these visits has been some minor additions to the post below, particularly some photographs.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2017/12/03/li ... rovence-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491358  by george matthews

I am sure there is no future for "Metre gauge railways". They were a feature of an increasingly distant past. A few still continue but most have been discontinued. I have made a lot of use of the metre gauge system in East Africa, and have found them quite useful, but the trend even there is to replace them with Standard gauge lines, as can be seen in Kenya. The new standard gauge lines will have greater capacity and faster line speed, which will be very useful. The metre gauge trains needed sleeping cars for the higher classes, but the faster SG trains will not need them.

When they were built in Europe the aim was to spend less on investment in areas of low demand. The same was true of Africa and other colonial areas. The decision was made to spend less, but in retrospect we can see that this was an unfortunate policy. In Europe the early lines did not have to face road competition but their slower speeds put them at a disadvantage nowadays. In Europe the metre gauge lines were built in areas which had less demand for transport. In almost all cases the development of efficient road vehicles has rendered them uncompetitive. Most of the lines you are describing here are distant memories.