Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#884888  by wilmette2008

Two quick questions, I have noticed that most trains going into ogolvie go rright to the calfornia avenue coach yard after discharging passengers, however how long is the time frame form when the train arrives to when it gose to the coach yard? My second question is if locomotives go to M19A then how come they are fuel tracks with pumps at ogolvie, is this in case M19A is not aviable? Please let me know thank you.
 #884911  by doepack

During the morning rush, trains will wait 10-15 minutes or so after discharging passengers before they head over to the California Ave. coach yard. I've noticed that sometimes, Lake St. tower will line up equipment moves to the yard simultaneously with inbound or outbound UP/W trains, since they both use the curve to/from the Geneva sub. To ensure schedules are covered, the "fuel pocket" at OTC is used primarily by locomotives assigned to weekend service, since I believe M19A is a Mon.-Fri. operation only...
 #887277  by qboy

wilmette2008 wrote:Two quick questions, I have noticed that most trains going into ogolvie go rright to the calfornia avenue coach yard after discharging passengers, however how long is the time frame form when the train arrives to when it gose to the coach yard? My second question is if locomotives go to M19A then how come they are fuel tracks with pumps at ogolvie, is this in case M19A is not aviable? Please let me know thank you.
It can be as little as 5 to 6 minutes for a few trains. Because they will need the track for another train! In most causes maybe 10-12 minutes otherwise Lake St. starts to call trains to see when they are ready! As far as engines going to M19A most will go to the ramp aka (M19A), but not all engines go to the ramp in the morning. Some will stay downtown and hold for trains outta there or for emergencies. Engines can and do get fueled out of there throughout the day and into the night! Bottom line its more convenient to fuel engines down there for some trains. Instead of sending it out to the ramp. Even though it is open 24/7 it doesn't have the usually work forces at night or weekends to cover things.
 #904249  by wilmette2008

Maybr that's why I here conductors anouncing,"This is ogolvie transprotation center the final stop of this train, please don't heastite getting off this train gose imedatley to the coach yard upon arrival at the station." Expect why would they need to anouce that to the passangers? Don't they check the train for straglers before leaving? Finally do most enggineer change end during equiptment moves? Please let me know thank you.
 #904751  by qboy

They make the announcement to so those passengers that are sleep or to engrossed in whatever activity they may be doing. So they know this is the finally stop! All trains will have someone walkthrough...but it might sometimes be enroute to the yard. I might experience a rider every couple of months that doesn't get off in time! Yes of course we change ends, were not gonna run from the cabcar to the yard!
Last edited by qboy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #904874  by oknazevad

Ugh. Please don't use a exclamation point after every sentence. It doesn't make your point any stronger.