Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1255388  by BAR

I will be travelling from Union Station to the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center Hotel next week for the "O" gauge model show. The hotel advises that I can arrive at either the Lombard or Downers Grove Metra stations. Is there any particular advantage to arriving, and departing, from either station? Thanks.

Does Metra still have an unlimited travel weekend ticket? I believe they had one some time ago. Thanks again.

Do any locals have any restaurant recommendations near the hotel? Thanks once again.

Bill
Williamsburg, VA
 #1255494  by wda4449

The hotel you are planning to visit is about halfway between the Metra/BNSF station in Downers Grove and the METRA/UPW station in Lombard. Since I am a regular rider of the BNSF line I would be partial to the Downers Grove station. As for restaurants, the Yorktown Mall has a large selection of them with many near the Butterfield Road and Highland Avenue intersection.
 #1255538  by lstone19

BAR wrote: Does Metra still have an unlimited travel weekend ticket? I believe they had one some time ago. Thanks again.
Yes. $7.
 #1255604  by doepack

The hotel is about the same distance from both UP/W and BNSF stations, but if you're starting from Union Station, BNSF to Downers Grove, then a cab to the hotel is your best bet. Although the midday service levels are pretty much the same, BNSF has more inbound trains back to Chicago during the mid and late afternoon. On weekends, BNSF has a little more service on Saturdays, and both lines run every 2 hours on Sunday.

Have fun!
 #1259282  by BAR

A follow up to my initial inquiry. We arrived on Friday, March 14 on The Lake Shore Limited an hour or so late and took the BN line to Downers Grove. Hotel van was waiting for us on our arrival. We also returned to Union Station on the BN. Thanks for the advice.

While in Chicagoland I also took the UP line from Lombard to Ogilvie and return on Saturday, March 15. Train was packed both ways with St. Patrick's Day revelers. While in the area I rode the South Shore to South Bend and back and the Metra Electric to the Museum of Science and Industry. Metra has quite an operation and I hope to return and ride as many lines as I can on the bargain seven dollar weekend ticket.

By the way we also had an excellent corned beef and cabbage dinner on March 17 at Dylan's Pub located on Clinton Street between Union and Ogilvie.

Bill O'Connell
Williamsburg, VA