Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1554689  by John_Perkowski

Read it here: https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... on-dispute

My comment: Automated fare taking systems are doable. METRA needs to join the 21st Century.
 #1554700  by Pensyfan19

More info from Railway Age.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/co ... annel=news
The Chicago commuter rail agency said UP is “severely damaging Metra’s bottom line, reputation and customer experience by an ‘arbitrary and capricious’ refusal to deploy its conductors” on the three lines it owns and operates (UP North, Northwest and West) under a Purchase of Service Agreement (PSA).

The lawsuit seeks monetary damages and a permanent injunction demanding that “UP conductors and onboard personnel resume carrying out all of their required duties, which include selling and validating all tickets and making repeated passes through the cars to assist customers and promote orderly conduct,” the agency said.

“We strongly disagree with how Union Pacific Railroad has been operating commuter service,” Metra CEO/Executive Director Jim Derwinski said. “We have given UP management numerous opportunities to provide the necessary level of service as on our other lines, but they have refused to address these issues in any meaningful way and have left us no recourse but to seek relief through the courts.”

Under the PSA, UP is obligated “to collect fares and validate tickets on the trains, operate the trains in accordance with state and federal safety standards, and follow its own practices and procedures,” Metra said. “UP’s own practices and procedures dictate that it is ‘critically important that trainmen make repeated passes through their assigned cars throughout the trip, in order to detect and observe medical emergencies, passengers needing assistance or information, the general orderly conduct of the train, and fare collection.’”
 #1554704  by eolesen

Its window dressing. I'm sure UP will be able to prove that when balanced out with all the other restrictions imposed by the State that they're justified in putting employee safety first.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk