Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1234142  by mtuandrew

What advantage is there to putting the only two F40Cs through an expensive rebuild? It does sound cool, but unless someone at Metra wants to buy SD40-2s and convert them to F40C-ECOs, it seems to make much more economic sense to retire these two to museums. Use the cash you would have otherwise spent to either order more new units or buy F40PH cores for rebuild.
 #1235482  by F40CFan

I think they are the perfect candidates. Metra is not using them, so they are surplus and can be rebuilt at leisure and extensively tested. Mechanically, the F40C and F40PH are the same, so any modifications on the F40Cs could be a test bed for the F40PHs in the future. Its also a good way to familiarize the mechanics with new equipment. I just hope they don't vandalize the exteriors any more than they already have.
 #1235528  by Milwaukee_F40C

I just hope they don't vandalize the exteriors any more than they already have.
But it would. Most of the EMD Tier whatever compliant rebuilds I have been seeing pictures of involve major modifications to the radiator section, and sometimes also dynamic brakes, air intakes, filter sections, overall roof height, hood end, and cab design. The 710 engines which are the most likely selection require much greater cooling capacity than the 645 for comparable horsepower (the 16 cylinder 645 would be replaced with a 10 or 12 cylinder 710). There's no way they will run an HEP alternator off the new prime mover, so they would have to find space somewhere for a genset and related carbody modifications. I think the F40Cs actually have some dead space and everything is shifted slightly forward relative to a typical SD40, but VIA used the back porch for the genset on their F40PH rebuilds. The F40Cs are different enough from both SD40s and F40PHs that their rebuild would be a custom design for only two locomotives, as far as how they get things to fit. Losing the chrome sides- it could happen.

As for the F40PHs that have just been rebuilt, I don't see them going through another rebuild. Metra itself is claiming that buying new locomotives is more cost effective than rebuilds, and there will be a whole new round of technology and regulations by that time anyway.
 #1246641  by F40CFan

Cool picture. Brings back memories.

I noticed that there are two "C" truck frames and a fuel tank on flat cars stored on the same track as 611 and 614. If they are going to actually rebuild them, why leave parts out in the elements? Curious.
 #1282825  by lstone19

611 and 614 went for a short ride this week when Metra shuffled the "dead line" at Western Ave. What had been (from west to east) an MP36 (427?) facing west followed by 7 and then 611 and 614 (not sure which of the two leading) is now the MP36 facing east (joyride around the wye at A-5?), 611 and 614, and then 7.
 #1285034  by HammerJack

I don't know if this is new news or not, but I saw 611 and 614 coupled together to an east facing MP36 at the yard near Western Ave. I'm not sure how/why the MP36 is facing that way, but it was.
 #1285269  by lstone19

HammerJack wrote:I don't know if this is new news or not, but I saw 611 and 614 coupled together to an east facing MP36 at the yard near Western Ave. I'm not sure how/why the MP36 is facing that way, but it was.
Not news as it's exactly what I reported in the post immediately above yours.

BTW, the MP36 facing east is 417, not 427 as I initially remembered and said.
 #1285311  by TrainManUPRR

417 has been dead for a long time now. Not sure why it's facing the wrong direction, but I know they've been using it as a parts source for awhile now.

The F40Cs will be getting remanufactured and put back in service, I'm not not sure when. I just hope Progress doesn't do the work ;-)
 #1333255  by lstone19

Sometime in the last five days or so, 611 and 614 were moved from the storage line to sitting over by the engine house.
 #1333367  by F40CFan

lstone19 wrote:Sometime in the last five days or so, 611 and 614 were moved from the storage line to sitting over by the engine house.
I believe it happened Tuesday between the morning and afternoon rush. As I went by this morning, they were sitting on the west side outside of door number 2. It looked like the door was being opened........
 #1333604  by TrainManUPRR

They were moved over to the diesel house because potential rebuilders were inspecting them yesterday so they could take a better look at what they're dealing with before they place their bids.

They are FAR from operating condition, lots of parts were borrowed from them to keep the rest of the clapped out locomotive fleet running.
 #1333618  by F40CFan

They're back in their normal spot this evening.