Railroad Forums 

• METRA E8 Locos usd for LIRR Bi-Level Tests

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1182921  by 452 Card

Does anyone know where, or what happened to the two METRA E8 locomotives used for the Bi-Level stop distance/EMI testing we did before the FL9ACs were delivered by ABB? Their road numbers in that paint scheme were 516-521.
 #1182935  by Shavano

The pair are both at NRE in Silvis IL, still complete with the numbers that were applied to the plated over top headlight when they arrived on the Island.
 #1182941  by DutchRailnut

Remember they did not last long, they used about as much lube oil as fuel oil.
 #1183001  by DutchRailnut

A good EMD will use some lube oil, as its a two stroke, but the two ex Chicago E units used 2 to 3 barrels a day.
 #1183248  by Tadman

Those were from the ex-CNW fleet, and I don't think any are preserved (IE in a museum, as opposed to rotting somewhere in a field). Quite a few of the ex-BN fleet made it to museums and executive fleets. FIrst and Fastest had a great article this month featuring lots of pics of the ex-CNW E's/F's on special moves in the 80's and early 90's if you're looking for some good pics or reading.
 #1239346  by Tadman

Some of Iowa Pacific's E's are indeed former Northwestern units. I'm not sure if they are by way of LIRR, Metra had about ten of them around 1993 that were used as pinch-hit power on the three ex-CNW lines. The spotting feature is the absence of number boards (they're painted on now). CNW torched them off in an effort to reduce maintenance needs on the Chicago commuter fleet.

I think another few Iowa Pacific E's are the ex-NRHS Lackawanna units, not sure of their original history.
 #1240690  by MACTRAXX

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Last Picture I can find online is 10/5/2012
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3668488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doc: Good picture of 516 - the nose still has the numerals the LIRR placed on this unit...

Everyone: Happy belated New Year 2014 to all here at the LIRR Forum!

MACTRAXX
 #1565299  by Pensyfan19

It is with great sadness to report that Metra 521 and 516 (the two Metra E8s leased by the LIRR to test the C1s) are the latest victims of the great NRE Silvis IL scrapping of 2020-21. Truly a shame that these legendary locomotives were not saved. Were there any attempts to save these E units or any other locomotives in danger of being scrapped here? Is there an official list of locomotives which have been or are planned to be scrapped?

https://railpictures.net/photo/765282/
 #1565354  by newkirk

July 8 , 1991

Both Photos - July 15, 1991

#1565360  by eolesen

There was nothing legendary about these two aside from your fascination that they were leased out temporarily by the LIRR... t

They hadn't run in almost 30 years. Seems like more than enough time to act to save them if they were indeed legends....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk