Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1556269  by Arborwayfan

Metra may assume that the cyclists will stand with their bikes. You know us cyclists, we're strong and never sit. :-D UTA's Frontrunner bike cars (bike floors, really; the bottom of one car per train IIRC) have a mix of racks and seats so that people can sit near their bikes. They also have the advantage of level boarding on the lower level. It's a good arrangement. A baggage car without seats would not be good for commuter-rail distances. People really should be able to be with their bike for the whole ride, both for security and for speed of boarding and detraining. I would not be surprised to see Metra remodel this car to put in some side-facing seats between the racks or on one side or at one end.
 #1556274  by F40CFan

I'm sure they left the seats on the upper level. It would be extremely hard to haul a bike up there.
 #1556443  by TurningOfTheWheel

A brief quote from the press release linked in the tweet:
To accommodate the additional bicycles, Metra crews removed 24 two-passenger seats on one half of the lower level a Pullman car from the late 1960s. Seats remain on the upper level of that side of the car for customers who wish to sit within view of their bike.
So it's half of the car, and they left the upper gallery seats as one would expect. Seems like a good compromise.
 #1556603  by eolesen

It's certainly better than blocking the vestibule, and similar to how commuter operators with Bombardier equipment handle things.

Thinking out loud, it would also make for a great bar car option once people realize the bikes aren't really showing up.
 #1572010  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed, but not the best view (unexpected) BNSF 2009 (23).

In the consist was a carbon steel Gallery car ("smooth side" in fanese) of either CNW or RI heritage.

First, this is my first knowledge that the BNSF assigned cars were compatible with those from the CNW or RI, but what am I to know, however, most to the point is the livery of this car. It appeared Blue with a Teal stripe with a "checkmark" as part of such.

So I guess METRA thinks a "reliverying' of their equipment will help return the business they have lost since "The Beginning" - as that has been plenty.
 #1572025  by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks, Mr. Pace, for reporting on a much better observation than I had on my walk @ W Hinsdale.

I suppose my compatability concern should have been dismissed as unfounded. I've seen enough C&NW trains with mixed consists to have known otherwise.
 #1610344  by CNJGeep

Did Metra ever receive more N-S Gallery cars after 2005 or order an option? Every website with fleet information is showing up to 6194, I'm on 6205 right now.

Update: Guess they did, I noticed the builder's plate as I got off, 2020 date.
 #1610353  by eolesen

The N-S assembly line closed down in late 2018. Hasn't been a delivery from there since 2017. Unless some cars were assembled and delivered from Japan, that might be a rehab date...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk