Railroad Forums 

• MetLife Concert Rail Service on BetMGM Meadowlands Rail Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#953854  by cruiser939

Lackawanna565 wrote:My older brother and I were waiting in line for almost a hour to get onto the train. He said it was busier this time.
That's what happens when you have close to 20,000 people who need to take a service that can handle roughly 10,000 people an hour. It was definitely not busier this time than when the event ran almost 2 years ago.
Lackawanna565 wrote:Most of the trains had PL42AC and Comet Six cars.
There is no such thing as a comet six car. I believe you are referring to a multilevel.
 #953863  by Lackawanna565

I forgot the multilevels are not called comet six. My brother now told me that we were waiting in line more than a hour. I don't remember being that long. NJT had sign at the station that said trains will leave every five to fifthteen until 12:40 AM. I thought we weren't going onto the train. The sign also said the next one to leave is until 4:58. Thank god we didn't have to wait until that time.
 #953893  by Uzi-Cat

cruiser939 wrote:but the guys in charge did a wonderful job of reshuffling crews and equipment and strategically delaying some trains to ensure crowds were loaded swiftly.
They also did a great job of screwing the crews. Don't look for any "favors" from me in the future.
 #953909  by ATCFault

Uzi-Cat wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:but the guys in charge did a wonderful job of reshuffling crews and equipment and strategically delaying some trains to ensure crowds were loaded swiftly.
What was the point of holding basically ALL the Main/Bergen trains for at least 15 minutes? Meadowlands trains I can see why, but the Main/Bergen?
 #953912  by cruiser939

ATCFault wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:
What was the point of holding basically ALL the Main/Bergen trains for at least 15 minutes? Meadowlands trains I can see why, but the Main/Bergen?
Pre or post event?
 #953990  by Hawaiitiki

What ever happened to the limited Northern PVL Meadowlands service they said would come with the completion of the spur?
 #954113  by cruiser939

SecaucusJunction wrote:A coworker of mine, who drove, said she got out of the parking lot in half an hour... so maybe it worked too well.
Looks like many people wouldn't agree with your coworker's account... http://www.northjersey.com/arts_enterta ... notes.html
 #954115  by cruiser939

Hawaiitiki wrote:What ever happened to the limited Northern PVL Meadowlands service they said would come with the completion of the spur?
No one ever said there would be service from the Meadowlands up the PVL. All that was said was that it was a possibility. In the end, the decision was made (and rightly so) that such a train would be a huge waste of resources and a logistical nightmare.
 #954120  by Hawaiitiki

They already park trains during Meadowlands Events North/West of the Meadowlands Spur. And I'm sure the idea that it would be an "operational nightmare" is not the issue, but I do agree that demand may not be sufficient to offer service but the demand is extant, albeit not massive. It could work if properly advertised for people not from NYC/Hob or along the NEC who dont want to pay $50 parking.
 #954125  by sixty-six

Hawaiitiki wrote:They already park trains during Meadowlands Events North/West of the Meadowlands Spur. And I'm sure the idea that it would be an "operational nightmare" is not the issue, but I do agree that demand may not be sufficient to offer service but the demand is extant, albeit not massive. It could work if properly advertised for people not from NYC/Hob or along the NEC who dont want to pay $50 parking.
You do realize that the PVL is single track, and the schedule is made to allow for meets where trains aren't sitting in sidings for longer than a few minutes, right?
 #954161  by SecaucusJunction

Wouldn't be a bad idea for the double tracked BCL to have a special train like that. Too bad there is no "wye" track at Pascack Jct. That would avoid a reverse move. I'm sure they could easily fill a train if they had a special run to the Meadowlands for events like this. MTA runs "Yankee Clipper" trains on their lines to/from Yankee Stadium on game days and they are very well patronized. I think, especially for Hoboken division customers, the fear of getting stranded at Secaucus for longer periods of time would be a deterrent for riding the train to the stadium.
 #954290  by Sirsonic

cruiser939 wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:A coworker of mine, who drove, said she got out of the parking lot in half an hour... so maybe it worked too well.
Looks like many people wouldn't agree with your coworker's account... http://www.northjersey.com/arts_enterta ... notes.html
Cruiser, I have already verbally counciled you on using facts when SecaucusJunction is trying to make a point that contradicts those facts. Please consider this a letter of reinstruction and be governed accordingly.
 #954291  by Sirsonic

SecaucusJunction wrote:Wouldn't be a bad idea for the double tracked BCL to have a special train like that. Too bad there is no "wye" track at Pascack Jct. That would avoid a reverse move. I'm sure they could easily fill a train if they had a special run to the Meadowlands for events like this. MTA runs "Yankee Clipper" trains on their lines to/from Yankee Stadium on game days and they are very well patronized. I think, especially for Hoboken division customers, the fear of getting stranded at Secaucus for longer periods of time would be a deterrent for riding the train to the stadium.
The reasons for not having dedicated trains to other destinations depart directly from the Meadowlands station has previously been explored. Comparisons to how MN operates their 3 line system are apples to oranges comparisons.
 #954318  by Passaic River Rat

Hawaiitiki wrote:What ever happened to the limited Northern PVL Meadowlands service they said would come with the completion of the spur?
Some discussion in this in the "New Haven to Meadowlands" thread.

FWIW, Section 3.06(d) of the operating agreement between Metro North and NJT says:
If an entertainement complex facility is constructed at the Meadowlands, New Jersey, and NJTRO provides train service to such complex, it will provide train service from M-N Stations on the Pascack Valley Line in accordance with a schedule and an effective date to be agreed upon by the Parties.

Note that the word "direct" is not used anywhere in this clause.