Railroad Forums 

• Mercury out of GCT in late 1940's?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1443285  by bellstbarn

In the 1940's we lived on Marble Hill, Manhattan. We were used to seeing important trains at their scheduled times of the day, almost always westbound some minutes after their scheduled departure from Grand Central. I don't know why we didn't hang around for eastbounds. On one odd occasion, maybe 1948, a streamliner of unusual cars passed westbound, and I was told it was the Mercury to Toledo. In old references on this board, I cannot find a Mercury from GCT. Can anyone guess what I may have seen? Many thanks.
 #1443313  by shlustig

The 3 "Mercury" trains ran Cleveland / Toledo / Detroit; Detroit / Chicago; and Cleveland / Columbus / Cincinnati (originally Detroit / Toledo / Cincinnati).

Given the 1948 date which you specified, you may have seen the press trips of the re-equipped 2oth Century Limited.